Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

treehorn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Have a client that wants their show archived on Blu-ray (as well as DVD and computer playable HD...he's covering all bases :). First one to ever ask so maybe Steve Jobs was on to something...

Anyway, i have a 2008 MacPro (2X2.8 Quad Xenon) with NVIDIA 8800 card. I want to get an external Blu-Ray burner for two reasons: 1) not knowing what the new MacPro is going to be (or if it IS going to be) external should be the most future proof and 2) my optical drive 'disappears' after a while and I'm not sure why (but as it seems mechanical vs software related, not wanting to see if internal Blu-ray fares any worse)

I'm wanting to author a set playable BluRay (so using it for more than storage/back up)

Thinking of either getting the Samsung SE-506BB/TSBD 6X USB2.0 External Slim Blu-ray Writer Drive or an OWC Mercury Pro (not sure if there's a huge difference between the 14X and the 15X other than ten bucks).

Plus on the OWC is it's firewire as well as USB. Plus on the Samsung is it's cheaper and smaller.

Also wondering about media - doesn't seem to be too many options for printable BD-R (Phillips and Verbatum). is one better than the other?

Thanks

mmoto

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2009
This might be an isolated incident...but

I own the same MacPro as you do and I've had a strange issue with the Samsung SE-506 recently. My MacPro would not start up. Start up failed almost the instant I pressed the power button. The RAM could not even compete it's self-check. Fan ran at full power. In 22 years of many mac desktop machine ownerships I'd never seen a problem quite like it. After a lot of resets, internal drive removals and other troubleshooting I found that just the connection of the Samsung SE-506 prior to start up was the problem. I'd go with a different model.

treehorn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking 400/800 firewire is better than strictly USB 2 anyway (and I've been finding my MacPro to be...temperamental...lately so not surprised)

phoenixsan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2012
I will go....

definitely with a FireWire drive, because obviously, you dont have access to USB 3.0/Thunderbolt....But, going to the point, I will prefer a LaCie, LiteOn, Sony or even a HP burner over a Samsung one. I have heard too many bad things about them, it is it.

Also, for me, the FireWire peripherals are more reliable and not too prone to fail/moody as the USB 2.0 ones. Disadvantage for me for a FireWire only drive is almost no compatibility in Windows world......:(

:):apple:

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Have a client that wants their show archived on Blu-ray (as well as DVD and computer playable HD...he's covering all bases :). First one to ever ask so maybe Steve Jobs was on to something...

Also wondering about media - doesn't seem to be too many options for printable BD-R (Phillips and Verbatum). is one better than the other?

Thanks
I do not think this will end well.

treehorn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
What makes you believe that burnable Blu-ray is a reliable archive medium?

What makes you think I think so? If you bothered to really read my initial post, it clearly spells out that I have a client who wants his show on a playable bluray. Do I think it's the best solution? Doesn't matter. The client is always right as long as he/she isn't asking for anything impossible. And in this case....authoring a bluray as part of a package isn't impossible, and if it makes client happy...and gets me a job...and thus money, who am I (and more importantly, who are you) to disparage?

Thanks for those who gave useful information instead of eye rolling snark, btw....

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
I bought one of these last summer ....

http://www.amazon.com/LaCie-Blu-ray-External-Recorder-FireWire/dp/B009LJM6AI/ref=pd_cp_e_2

It has been perfect so far.... I purchased a 50 spindle of Blu-Ray Disks, and have not had one bad burn yet...
I have burned BR movies, and used to Archive media as well....
No problems at all. And the FW vs. USB is a huge plus.

I have burned disks with Toast 10 btw.

Ive had one of these for almost 4 years now.
What a work horse.
Burned thousands of DVD/CD/BD of all varying auth levels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.