Blurry Text on Brand New iBook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by bigtrees5000, Oct 30, 2005.

1. bigtrees5000 macrumors newbie

I just bought the new iBook G4. It's my first Mac. So far, everything has been great with the switch from pc. Except, the text is VERY BLURRY. I spend a lot of time reading on the web, and it's starting to give me headaches.

To answer the obvious questions, yes, my vision is good, and yes, I already have it turned to the default highest resolution (1024 x 768).

Is there any way to fix this?? It's affecting me to the point where I'm starting to consider bringing it back.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

What you are seeing is OSX's different approach to font smoothing (antialiasing) vs. Windows'.

System Preferences, General, Font Smoothing Styles...

Try different settings for smoothing (antialiasing) until you see one you like.

3. bigtrees5000 thread starter macrumors newbie

First, thank you for replying. I went into Sys Pref, Appearance, Font Smoothing Styles and there were 5 listed. However, I tried all 5 and didn't see much of a difference. Do I have to re-open Safari or reboot my computer before I see a difference?

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

You have to relaunch an application, in your case Quit, Adjust, Reopen Safari.

5. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Yes you have to reboot to see the difference. Personally I don't like OSX's font smoothing either and it doesn't look all that good on low resolution displays, but I personally prefer the "Best for CRT" look over them all.

Also try calibrating your display. Don't touch any of the settings except for setting the gamma from "Mac" to "PC". It makes a world of difference in text and just the color of your display in general.