bmw 4 series

Discussion in 'Community' started by jeffy.dee-lux, Mar 3, 2004.

1. jeffy.dee-lux macrumors 6502a

i don't have a link, i saw it in april's Road and Track, but i'm sure you can just google it. I think it's beautiful, while i like all the new bimmers, i'm sure this one will appeal to a wider range, i'd say its more conservative than the 5, 6 or 7 while still being very eye catching.
    I like how their nomenclature makes more sense now. Even numbers designate a two door version of of the odd number below it. Woulda been kinda wierd with the 6 series as the two door 5 and then the 3 series coming in both sedan and coupe form. I hear there's gonna be a 2 series to go along with the upcoming 1 as well. Maybe an 8 series some day to compete with the CL. Also heard they're gonna be revising the 7 a bit, making it a bit less controversial, they had a pic in that same road and track.

Now lets have M's all around! Why isn't there an M7? They've got the v12 760... why don't they cram two turbos in there and go after the S65?
    :D

wait, what am i talking about? i'm a self proclaimed environmentalist! Y'all didn't see nothin'!

go prius!

2. iGav macrumors G3

An M7 would be an interesting proposition, but BMW don't go down the turbo route, and I'm not certain how much more they'd be able to tweak from the V12, that was the problem they were experiencing with the M3 CSL, they'd basically reached the limits of the straight 6's output without bolting on some turbos... which isn't BMW's style.

As for M's all round, I'm not sure... that seems like they'd be watering down a great brand, something BMW sailed extrodinarily close to with the M3 CSL... having a M1 for example would be a little crude in my opinion and not good for the brand. M cars should be desirable, not hopped up shopping cars in the case of the 1 and 2 series.

Now if BMW actually produced a 'proper' CSL range, a real stripped out sports saloon, maybe in 4 and 5 Series forms then that'd be cool, but they've really got to take the CSL eithic and make it work and strip it bare, junk power steering, ABS, traction control, leccy windows, A/C basically the works... and make a 'pure' drivers care, devoid of electronic driver interference. ;) that'd be cool. :D

3. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i agree with you there however i cant see there being much demand for a 7 series csl, people buy the 7 series as they want a luxury, big powerful family car. if they wanted a sports car so much im sure they could afford to buy a lotus elise which would be far more fun than a really powerful yet big and heavy car. well that is my opinion.

oh and BMW did do an M1, it was a sportscar in the late 80's i think. i looked a bit like a door wedge but was apparantly really good, i think!

4. iGav macrumors G3

that's why I only suggested a 4 or 5 Series for a CSL range.. ;) I think the 5 is as big as you'd want to go... but I'd be interested if I had the disposable... I much prefer naughty saloon cars, to stuff like the Elise, or VX220... :D

The M3 CSL is supposed to be a fine car, but it's still too bloated to wear the CSL tag with pride, one glance at the interior suggests that, and it still has far too many unecessary electronic gizmos, they need to strip it right down... and junk the sound proofing too... those engines sound tight on the redline. ;) and get rid of traction control... that's for chumps ;)

and yep, the M1 of the late '70's early 80's... that was worthy of wearing the 'M' badge... but I'm not convinced that new 1 Series would be... :eek:

5. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i agree that big cars make great sports cars, just look at the nissan skyline, what i would do for one of those, but i suppose in this case is the gizmos and turbos that make it what it is.

the 3 series engines are sweet, my mum has one and it sounds so nice, at least it doesnt have the engineered noise that porche spend so much time trying to achieve!

a small BMW though that would be maxed out would be quite fun though. something along the lines of a vw lupo gti - that is what a real small yet powerful car should be like, though i am quite biased as a have a lupo.

6. iGav macrumors G3

It'd be a great car... that I have no doubt, but I can't help but think that a brand such as 'M' shouldn't be used on a suped up shopping car... it should be an object of desire and wanting... not mass produced and easily accessible to all, that way it still demands exclusivity and respect.

7. russed macrumors 68000

russed

hence you would make it cost like £25,000 or something stupid like that. a good example would be the renault clio v6 which has then engine in the back. that is an awesome car but very rare, why, because many people cant justify spending so much money on a shopping car but this is a real race car with explosive performance. now im sure you would agree that such a car would be worthy of a M badge?

8. iGav macrumors G3

But Renault don't have a desirable brand do they... (even the Clio V6) and thus do not have to worry about watering down a much fabled name, if anything having the Clio V6 merely helps shift the rest of the outdated, and lack lustre perfroming Clio range, and the performance is merely average when compared to similar priced cars, which include the Honda S2000, Nissan Z, Alfa 147 GTA, Audi S3 and then you have the cars such as the Lancer Evolution and Impreza that totally destroy it every which way for the same $$$, and are dynamically vastly superior....

An 'M' should always define the performance class it is in, with regards to both desirability and performance... so no, I don't think the Clio V6 is worthy of the 'M' badge.. ;)