BMW 7-Series, I forgot how amazing they are...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Plymouthbreezer, May 5, 2006.

1. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Just had to comment on how wonderful they are. The last time I rode in one, it was a 2002 model back in 2003. I was only 13 at the time, so I didn't really pay attention to any detail then. I've sat in many since (at autoshows), but haven't drove in one since. Today I had the opportunity to drive one, and boy, it's insane how lovely it is.

I'll post some pictures later. Just had to get it off my chest. Anyone here own one?

2. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

I actually test drived one last saturday because my girilfreind is very interested in getting one and I think it might happen this weekend (Crossing my fingers!!!). I LOOOOOOVE BMW's, always have..and I'm waiting for my lease to expire on my infiniti g35 coupe so I can look into a 2004/05 BMW M3 ....

3. CompUser Guest

I was just in my neighbor's new Mercedes E500 (I always thought it was an E320, but he gets a new car every 2 years or so). It was a beautiful. Unfortunately, he and his son are about 6'5" so the seats were pushed all the way back so there was about 3" of rear legroom.

My friends dad has the G35x, he absolutely loves that car and my other neighbor has an M3, however he almost totalled by crashing into a tree when the roads were slick.

4. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

mm...my dad is in the works of buying either a 750Li (I think it is 2003 but I am not sure), or a new 760i. I would rather get the 750Li 'cause I hate chris bangle (sp?) I guess he did an okay job on the Z4, the car's he does are nice, but they dont FEEEEEEEEEEEL like a traditional BMW. Actually, the 3 series is okay now too. But the X3 is wtf.

Anyway, I haven't ridden (?) in that 750Li yet, all I did was go to see it but my dad drove it. I was there when my dad test drove the 760i. I frikkin hated it.

5. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

My dad's friend back in san diego has a yellow m3, I've only seen (& heard) it so I don't know much about it other than what's noted.

but there sure are a lot of fake's where people just stick an 'M' badge on there & say it's an m3. cheap as*es.

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

"Hate" is such a strong word for such a sweet car. ;)

Hey, I don't like BMWs at all, but that doesn't mean I think BMWs are bad cars. I'm sure they're all good cars, and I'd probably love to own any of them (because i can't imagine myself ever owning one).

7. Plymouthbreezer thread starter macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Pretty color:

[​IMG]

Massive slab sides:
    [​IMG]

Dynamic lights:
    [​IMG]

Sculpted interior:
    [​IMG]

Starter:
    [​IMG]

8. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

those of you who ride a 7 series .... you lease or own?

9. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

isn't that the car that's sold as a limousine in europe and a sedan in america? :eek:
    sweet car, but that looks friggin huge...

10. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

My dad doesn't own the 7 series (yet), but he doesn't like leaasing cars because he gets 'attached' to them. (Kinda like me & macs). So he owns any car he gets (which is always bmw, he "can't stand other cars")

11. bartelby macrumors Core

12. Plymouthbreezer thread starter macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

This one is leased. They get a new one every two years or so.

I should mention they also have a newer (2003 or 2004) Porsche 911, a BMW X5, and their son (who's my age - in highschool) has a nice new '06 Jeep Commander Limited.

13. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

So why waste all their money on cars when it looks like they could use a new house?

14. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

I was thinking the exact same thing!

15. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

Especially when there is no garage to keep it in.

Or so it seems.

16. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I was at Laurel BMW of Westmont IL MANY times over the past few years getting countless repairs to the family X5 4.4 (most unreliable car ever). When the new 7 series came out I was stunned at how gorgeous it looked.

Then I sat in it and completely forgot about how good the outside looked. Worst BMW interior ever. Way too flashy and and pointy and un-BMW for my taste.

I hate that ugly dial in the middle. What are we setting the cruising speed of an ocean liner?

17. mac-er macrumors 65816

I like how the car cost more than the house.

It is so sad that people are more concerned about their image and what people will think when they are driving around in their 7 series, then they drive home to the shed....probably in debt to their eyeballs.

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I was thinking the same thing.

I noted that they get a new car every two years via leasing. That means they are always paying for their car.

The best car in the world is a paid off car. No monthly payments is the way to go unless you have money to burn.

19. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

could that perhaps be the op's neighbor's car parked in front of the op's house?
    although if that IS the car owner's house, he's got his priorities a bit skewed.

20. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

I vote for the Porsche 911 ... Did they win the lottery by any chance?

21. Plymouthbreezer thread starter macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Ouch. I like my house thank you! But yeah, I understand. I always find it ironic when I see really expensive cars in front of "regular" homes. A few months ago I saw a Dodge Ram SRT-10 parked in front of a trashy three decker. It's been there for months, so I know the person in the house owns it. Always makes me roll my eyes and wonder what their situation is. I also saw an Enzo parked in a decent home just a few blocks from here. Nice house, but the car made me say "what?!?!"

The 7 is here for the weekend. She lives in Connecticut. Her house is massive - gate, three car garage, all the fixings.

I have a 2000 Chrysler Concorde:
    [​IMG]

The house is worth much more then the car FYI... We have about 2 acres of land behind the house.

22. Plymouthbreezer thread starter macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Nah, her husband is VP of a well known company's marketing devision. The wife runs her own message therapy center.

23. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Not a fan of BMWs. I love the new lexus LS 460.... especially the HL... drool...
    I hate BMW's nav system... what the hell is that knob thing all about... is it to flacking hard to make a touch screen....

24. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

For some reason, I've never like BMW 7-series.

Don't get me wrong, I quite like the 5-series, and really admire the 3-series - as they are more akin to sports cars - quick and nimble. I've always admired BMW's near-unmatched driver/car synthesis in these smaller sedans.

When you get to the luxury-barge category, however - I tend to think BMW loses some of it's edge. I would probably choose an Audi, a Jaguar or even a Mercedes over a 7-series.

Still, it is doubtful I'd ever be shopping for any of these cars, so whatever.

I would like to try a BMW 1-series diesel. Cheaper, more spartan (read: less gizmos), and fuel-efficient, while still retaining that BMW driving-feel.

25. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

They are awesome! I like the styling too