BMW or Mercedes Benz?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bobscliff, Oct 6, 2006.

1. bobscliff macrumors regular

bobscliff

Which do you prefer? Personally i think the higher end benzes are better looking (s-class) but i drive a bmw and i know that they are verrry good to drive. bmw also has nicer suvs and the 6 series is gorgeous.

2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Since the site represents all sorts of socio-economic levels, prepared to get flamed a little for your post.

Personally, I don't care for either but would be happy if I had either.

4. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

I was ready to buy an AMG C32 Wagon until I drove it. Sloppy and loose.

BMWs handle beautifully. Particularly the 3-series chassis.

5. jamone80 macrumors regular

BMW M3.... but who am I kidding, I'll take anything! ;)

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I like BMWs better than Mercedes. Although I still want to get my Porsche.

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

BMW!!

I have always found Beamers more fun than Mercs.

Probably because of the introduction of the M5. BMW was the first to create a racer and put a normal 5-series body around it. BMW puts so much effort in delivering the best driving experience in all of their cars.
    The "lesser" Mercs somehow feel like Japanese cars with the Mercedes badge.
    A BMW 1-series still feels like a BMW. Always excellent steering, great handling etc. Maybe not always the fasterst cars on the planet (especially the smaller petrol engines), but always very good to drive.

My top 3 brands:

1) Aston Martin. The best looking cars ever. Especially the DB-9
    2) BMW. Best cars ever. M5 is IMHO the best car on sale.
    3) Porsche. I love the way the 911 stays alive! Engine in the back! :cool:

8. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

I've had both and still have an MB SLK. My take is the BMW is more fun to drive but the Mercedes is better looking and more reliable.

Yeah, there are exceptions on both sides, but as a general rule I'll stand by that.

9. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

One of the reasons I chose BMW is that it doesn't scream into my ear I"M A NICE FRIGGIN CAR RESPECT ME like Mercedes tends to do.

... I rather whispers give me more

10. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Personally I see BMW as being more masculine (aggressive styling) and Mercedes as being more feminine (graceful styling).

I personally would prefer a BMW over a Mercedes, especially when talking about their "mid-range" sedans. Id take a BMW 330Ci over a Mercedes E320 any day.

As for higher-end, I'd take an M5 (especially the new one) over a SL500.

But as always, to each their own.

11. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

12. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

W00T!!!!

Actually I had to decide between the two, I would go with BMW. They have a much better Motorsport division, and take good care of their customers in most cases.

I think Mercedes is great, they just tend to charge allot for their cars, and they seem to think everyone in the US needs an Automatic transmission as opposed to a Manual! Let the buyer decide what they want!

And if you like European cars, check out the link in my signature. We just got new Forums up, and we also write articles regarding new European cars, and attend events like NAIAS Detroit as Media to get detailed info on the new European cars available in the US.

13. MultiM macrumors 6502

MultiM

If I had to choose a convertible, then Merc all the way. Styling is so much nicer.

14. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-840quadra

Well, that's not entirely fair. The Germans feel they have moved on from manual shift. In fact they feel we US'ers are a bit silly holding on to it.

Remember, they're Germans - efficiency is very important to the culture. And let's face it, a manual shift compared to an SMG (Sequential Manual Gearbox) is not a fast shift, or efficient for fast acceleration.

15. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Like us antiquated Americans, there are also Germans who prefer stirring the box themselves, but I would bet they are in the minority. SMG is a totally different story, and I am 100% with you on that. Reason being , quicker shifts, less parasitic loss, light weight, and (usually) more adaptive when compared to a normal automatic.

A normal automatic transmission is not my idea of a good time, and was the only option in US models for years when it came to Mercedes. Granted they have a unique upscale market geared to people that don't want to shift themselves, but that wasn't the case for potential AMG buyers that chose BMW or Audi over Mercedes.

I take it your E46 is an SMG? I prefer DSG (Direct Shift Gearbox) personally, but I guess that is because I am an Audi guy. Either way, they are both great, and I will have one or the other in my next car.

I am really liking the 335 Coupe, mmmm Turbocharged BMW 6 cylinder goodness :D ! (the only issue is now their naming convention is pointless IMHO)

16. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Agree on every point...the only Merc I would have over a BMW is the McLaren SLR...and thats not even a real Merc so....BMW :D

17. misam macrumors newbie

We own both a 2005 325xi and a 2004 E320 4-matic. Both cars are excellent, and have various advantages and disadvantages. Of course, it is not fair comparing them since the 3 series and E class are totally different classes of cars, but I will compare anyway. The BMW is far sportier, and a lot more fun to drive. It's not fast, but it handles beautifally and has perfect steering and brakes. The Mercedes is far more comfortable, bigger, and more luxurious. It handles worse, and the brakes and steering isolate the driver from the road more than a BMW, but less than a Lexus. Both cars have had flawless reliability, but the Mercedes dealer has better service than the BMW. Most importantly to me is that they both feel like they are worth the cost.

I much prefer the 3 series BMW to the C class Mercedes. I think that the E class vs. 5 series is a draw (the 5 series is just so ugly), and the new S class blows the 7 series away. In terms of power and acceleration, an AMG will typically smoke an M car, but on a track or curvy road the M will dominate the AMG. There are certainly pros and cons to each car, and every buyer must decide for themselves what they want from the car.

18. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

A good option (for me in Minnesota) but I cannot get past their interior and exterior build quality. Hyundai has them beat (by far) in this category, and they are a bit too Initial D for my Ronin lifestyle

19. pink-pony115 macrumors regular

pink-pony115

20. pincho macrumors regular

pincho

Both are hot as.. I always considered a Merc more for ladies than a Beema.. dont know why but they are both awesome.

21. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I drive a 94 Corolla that isn't even mine, so I'm not quite the target audience for either of the aforementioned vehicles.

If I were to buy that type of car, I would get a Lexus, because I trust Toyota.

If I were to get one for the hell of it, I'd get a soft-top Volvo.

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Neither.

However, Mercedes and BMW sedans do make good taxis! ;)