BMX Bikes

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DarkNetworks, Jul 27, 2006.

1. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

I'm planning to get a BMX Bike next month. Don't know which one's good or what to get. Anyone into it can give me some suggestions? I've been looking around and HARO seems pretty popular. At this moment, i can afford either the Z Series or F Series. I'm looking at F1, F1c and also the Nyquist 6-teen. What are the differences between the F1 and F1c? One's a compact version I heard. Any other things to look out for when purchasing a BMX? I'm new into this so not too sure about what're the differences/ what to look for etc...can someone explain it to me? Thanks in advance.

2. adk macrumors 68000

adk

What are you looking for? Race? Street? Vert? Flatland?

3. DarkNetworks thread starter macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Street.

4. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Budget?

Incidentally just had my DK Four pack stolen.

5. DarkNetworks thread starter macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

Around £100 - £150. Maximum £200. Any recomendations where to get one in the UK? or maybe online stores that I can check out the price etc...

6. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Winstanley's (in Wigan) are always pretty cheap (though customer service aint all that).

My DK four pack was a nice-ish bike, a little heavy though but was kinda in that price range.

I think your best bet is to pick up Ride (UK) magazine and look through there for bargains as there is always last year models to look at. I'd steer clear of big people like GT, Haro etc (might be difficult with the budget).

I'd always fancied somat like a We The People bike or maybe an Eastern.

7. DarkNetworks thread starter macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

8. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

9. iGav macrumors G3

Save up some more and buy the bits & bobs and build your own, I'd never buy an off the peg BMX...haute couture baby!

I reckon you could build a bike for £300 that'd wipe the floor with any £600 bike... and certainly any budget off the peg metal in the same bracket, especially if you're willing to pick up some NOS parts.

I based my puppy on a Gusset Flatman frame, with S&M Pitchforks and S&M Beringer bars, Standard XL stem, Snafu 4130 cranks and pedals, Wethepeople seat attached to an uber retro '87 Haro layback, Dia Compe Dirty Harry levers, London Holloway chainwheel, KHE pro grind chain, Araya Himiko rims (36 hole front, 48 hole rear) with Demolition hubs shod with Gusset Pimp rubber.

A few other goodies too... the whole shebang came in at around the £700 mark if I remember rightly and took me an afternoon to build, and set up. :D

On a side note... I luv Alans BMX. :D

Now... I want me a Raleigh Chrome Burner. :D

10. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

On the retro tip I have my old Torker 280X at home :)

Building your own. I don't think that's a do-able thing at the low end of the market (I've built many many bikes :) ).

Maybe getting something secondhand, the ghetto style though means most second hand BMXs are pretty battered after a short while these days. You might be lucky.

And yes Alan's are always a pleasure to deal with. I just built a new street MTB using a few parts from them (Thomson stem, KHE hindenburg steel cranks, drive pedals, KHE chain, Orbit MX headset.....this bike is so light and strong it's silly.)

11. iGav macrumors G3

For £111 in old money... this and a pair of these sooooooooooooooooooooooo old school. :D

12. Lau Guest

Heh! I was obsessed for a while about getting a Super Tuff Burner, but eventually the prices got the better of me. Mmm, though.

[​IMG]

13. iGav macrumors G3

What we gonna do Lau??? Designers, Mac's, Air cooled VW's, Retro BMX's, long eyelashes, hatred of football... it's destiny baby! Teehee ;) :p :p :p

14. Lau Guest

Ooh, stop it, you. <bats long eyelashes> ;)

15. iGav macrumors G3

NICE.... :cool:

I reckon you could for £300, it requires a hawk like eye... and spending time rummaging through the sale bins, but after a quick tommy gander on a eBay and a couple of BMX's sites... as long as you're willing to put up with NOS parts, you're set.

I just hate off the peg sh*t... :p

16. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I had a Mongoose (one of the first batch in the UK, yeah I'm old and I still ride BMX/MTB street) when the burners all came out. The burner is not really a true BMX. The UK didn't really get what BMX was at the time snad the geometry and the ride on the burners was appauling. Not to mention the build quality.

Back to the topic:

That We the People bike I recommend above is your best bet I reckon. Or emaybe this:

http://www.alansbmx.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=3821

My DK was ok (it was a cheap bike to save my street mtb). Maybe this:

http://www.alansbmx.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=3258.

Personally I'd not consider anything cheaper than this:

http://www.alansbmx.com/product_info.php?products_id=2672

You're less likely to want to upgrade anything on that.

17. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

We're in agreement :)

I still say the budget is a little low for that and I suspect the OP would rather just get off-the-peg to save the hassle.

18. bartelby macrumors Core

I wish I could remember what was on My Hoffman Condor frame.
    The bits I can remember are:
    Fishbone 3pc crank with S & M pedals
    G-Sport Oversized Hubs
    Primo rims
    Primo V-Monster tyres

S & M Stem
    Odyssey Gyro
    S & M Dirt Bars
    KHE Forks

U Brakes with Fishbone plates.

EDIT: Using Alan's BMX I've remembered some other parts

19. DarkNetworks thread starter macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

No idea about building one. I just don't have that kind of money atm. So I'll most probably buy a Complete Bike.
    I'm looking into this, Hoffman Bikes Rhythm EL2 2006. Is it any good?
    http://www.alansbmx.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=2809
    Lots recomended this to me, a beginner as it comes with full chromoly frames and forks, the DK Six Pack.

20. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Y'know that Six pack is close in spec to the old Four pack that I had (now stolen). It's a pretty good spec .

The Hoffman seems like a nice bike too. If at all possible you should try and ride them, one will pop out as the most comfotable (my DK, the BB was quite high and that didn't really suit my style).

21. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Very sorry for the off-topic veerage but I've been curious about this for a while. Why street BMX for all-purpose use? There are 24" MTB's which are more efficient for just riding around and can take pretty much the same punishment.

22. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Yeah that's what I bought to eventually replace my BMX.

They do cost more though.