Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dukey

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
With all the steam summer sale going on I decided to pick up a few games for my rMBP. My question is, does everyone that plays these games play them on Windows via boot camp? I downloaded WItcher 2 and Boarderlands and started playing them on my OSX 10.8.4 (not on windows) and I feel like I should get a better performance from my mid 2012 retina. While the Witcher 2 is unplayable, borderlands 2 is alright. I can play without too much of a frame drop but I definitely think it can be better.

Processor 2.3ghz core i7
8GB of RAM
Geforce GT 650M 1gb vram

Update SMCv1.1
Vsync on
texture quality low
game detail low
FXAA off

I've heard people say great things about BL2 on retina but on bootcamp - windows, which makes sense but is it drastically different from Mountain lion or am I doing something wrong?

Asuriyan

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Indiana
Most games are written for the DirectX API, which is Microsoft's property and thus featured only in Windows. Mac games have to be converted to use OpenGL, and in the process lose some performance on the same hardware.

Additionally, you shouldn't try to run 1st/3rd person action titles at full resolution. I've found that top-down games like League of Legends, Starcraft 2 and Civ V run reasonably well at 2880x1800, but almost anything else needs to be scaled down a bit.

Dukey

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2011
Yeah I'm running it at 1440 x 900, mostly everything on low but fps still seems like it could be better.

DaveNinja

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
Borderlands 2 seems to run pretty well for me at the default setting (1440 x 900) on my rMBP. I dont know if there is a way to display the frame rate, though, so i dont know if its dropping to 20fps sometimes and i'm just not noticing

Boris-VTR

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2013
Well, Withcer 2 is overkill for most graphics, so no wonder that retina would have problem with it. Try turning off additional effects, they are the real frame killers.

343matt

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
Borderlands 2

You do realise Borderlands 2 is on the Mac App Store, and runs better than the Steam version.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
You do realise Borderlands 2 is on the Mac App Store, and runs better than the Steam version.

Are you sure? Do you have any examples to prove it? I only ask as if you do have hard proof then that's a bug that Asypr can likely fix.

For what its worth Borderlands 2 plays find on my 15" rMacBookPro at 1440x900

Edwin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.