Boardgames

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Guitarius, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Guitarius macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

So I just hit up the Toys R Us buy one get one free board game sale. Picked up HeroScape. Been interested in it for a while, but couldn't really justify it until now, and now that I have it, I wonder why I couldn't justify buying it before, because it's awesome. I'll be going back before the sale ends to get all the expansions.

But it got me wondering how many fellow Mac addicts are into boardgames. How many are just some casual gamers that enjoy a game of Monopoly now and then and maybe some party games, and how many, if any at all, of you spend countless hours at local game stores playing games?

I personally am the later. I've spent hours hunched over a bad translation of a set of rules of German games. That's my hobby. Boardgames. I love 'em. And more than the games themselves are all the people I've met, and the friends I've made through them. Sometimes, my game group is what seems to get me through the week, because I'm always looking forward to friday night gaming.

And any of you who aren't boardgamers, pick it up. It's some great times with some great people.

2. Chubypig macrumors 6502

This part reminded me of a very funny Dane Cook joke about Monopoly. "F*** this game. It's 4:30 in the morning Grandma, YOU WIN!" :D

But, I do enjoy the occasional board game, such as Life, Sorry, Candyland :) , and others.

3. jcarm24 macrumors regular

jcarm24

I play Monopoly, but only when I go to McDonalds.

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I just got this [​IMG] for my bf. We played it last night. :D

5. katchow macrumors 6502

trivial pursuit is about the only game i play these days.

Though i miss Stratego from time to time.

6. Veldek macrumors 68000

Veldek

I'm a huge board-gamer! I play all kinds of board-games. Most popular is for sure "Settlers of Catan", but there many others I like to play.

7. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

The ultimate board game for me has always been scrabble. I have already gotten my 4 year old daughter learning to play.

8. jdechko macrumors 68040

I used to love that game... It was so much fun. Now I hardly have time for video games, much less actual board games.

Unless you count twister, in which case... :cool:

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Oooooh such a fun game! *adrenaline pumping just at the though* Yes... I'm a bit too competitive for my own good. :(

10. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

And I thought I was the only player left...Have you ever tried playing with baby oil. Even more fun :eek: :cool:

11. Nanda Devi macrumors regular

I love Scrabble. I'm a crossword puzzle nerd, too, so not surprising.

My boyfriend and I were unemployed and living with my parents a few years ago (yeah, not fun) and we spent an ungodlly amount of time playing Scrabble and doing crosswords. It was pretty pathetic. I actually haven't played Scrabble since... probably got it out of my system for good after playing it every day for 6 months! :p

12. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

I love them all.

But I think my favorites are:
    Heroquest
    Risk
    Axis and Allies (all of them)
    Scatagories (sp)
    Boggle

I am curious about this Heroscape though.

13. jdechko macrumors 68040

Note to self... Pick up baby oil from Wal-Mart

14. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

15. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Stratego is awesome! I haven't played that game in ages. I play Monopoly with a friend of mine maybe once every month or two. I am also a big fan of Risk but can never find enough interested people to play a good game with. I also like Scrabble, even though I'm not that good.

16. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

No, I'm not a boardgamer, but on your suggestion I think I will give it a try. Sounds like fun.

17. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

It's not strictly a boardgame, per-say, but as my avatar suggests I've a fondness for Subbuteo. A man's boardgame! :D

18. Guitarius thread starter macrumors 6502a

Guitarius

Ah...Veldek. I'm sure there are tons of great game stores in Germany. I almost considered learning German to move there and become a game designer.

Settlers is amazing. RoboRally is probably my all time favorite, Power Grid a close second. Carassonne, Puerto Rico, Ticket to Ride, Prince of Florence, Age of Steam, Mississippi Queen. So many games, so little time.

By the way. Toys R Us is having a Buy one get one free sale right now, so go get yourself a few boardgames.

19. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I'm a ruthless Monopoly player. The kind who always tries for the orange set (different names in different countries) and never ever buys hotels because to do so is to make housing stock available to others... :p

I like the occasional game of chess too if that counts, but I'm not very good.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmmm... have to say I was much more into RPGs than board games; although I certainly enjoy things like stratego, chess, trivial pursuit, and yes Monotony -- I mean Monopoly. :p

I've played a decent amount of WarHammer 40K and BattleTech on gameboards too.

21. Dandaman macrumors 6502

Besides monopoly, i'm a big fan of scattegories. If you like arguing, this is a good one.

daniel

22. Lau Guest

I just got back into Scrabble. Just got an old version off eBay for £1.70.

I used to like Monopoly, but haven't played it for years. One time, me, my brother and two friends were playing a fairly heated version in a youth hostel, and a wise old bearded youth hosteler said "You can tell they're Thatcher's children", during a bout of particularly hard property bargaining :eek: :p

edit: spelling/grammar :D

23. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

24. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

I'm just a casual boardgamer, but I have a friend who's really into German board games. He has all kinds of great games, so any time we get together we make sure he brings some. Recently I can recall enjoying:

These are all games you won't find at Toys R Us or Wal-Mart, and based on my experience, they're all much more fun than what you'd find at those stores. ;)

25. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

what is heroscape like?

settlers is a lot of fun. definitely a good game for 4-6 folks, and it doesn't take the many many hours of the axis and allies type games.