Boarding school

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Meecrob, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Meecrob macrumors member

Aug 25, 2006
    New England
    Anyone go to boarding high school? Which one and what was/is your experience there?
  2. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    My High School (year 7 to 12) was a boarding school - I didn't board as I lived in the area but I knew a lot of people who did.

They really had a "family" vibe about them, closer than just schoolmates, they were brothers. Just make sure that you don't get all blokey as most of them became - lack of female contact for the majority of the day kinda made the whole thing like a big bloke's night out. So have fun but don't get too entrenched in the rah rah culture.
  3. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    I bet they were. ;)
  4. Scubajay macrumors regular

Aug 20, 2006
    Great Totham, UK
    I went to a boarding school.

It was absoloute hell on earth, and my schooldays were a pile of sh*t.

Regular beatings, isolation as I didn't have as much money as the others, bullying and general misery. I hated every single second of it and have never been back since I left in 1987.
  5. 4JNA macrumors 68000

Feb 8, 2006
    looking for trash files
    high school (9-12) at a boarding school. really remote area, not much to do other than get in trouble :cool:

looking back with 20/20 hindsight, i see a poor quality education, limited opportunities (no honors classes or the like) and way to much free time. teenage angst, strong electrical/mechanical/electronic skills and free time in a strict and poorly supervised environment... not a good recipe! really bad at chemistry, but can hot wire anything as an example. they turned off the lights in all of our rooms at night, so i wired an extension cord into the 'always on' exit light... it get worse from there :eek:

i will not be doing that with my boys. quality education first, everything else second.
  6. Muffy macrumors newbie

Aug 22, 2008
    Boarding Schools

I attended Wycombe Abbey School, a British girls' boarding school, from the mid 70s to early 80s. It's academically first-rate, on a par with American schools such as Exeter, Andover, St. Pauls, etc..( I went on to Smith College afterwards and found it intellectually understimulating after WAS. ) It's very
    conservative, traditional, and no-nonsense-but less intimidating than other British girls' schools such as Roedean, Cheltenham Ladies, etc.. You go to Wycombe Abbey to work VERY hard. The girls pride themselves on their stamina which enables them to deal with the pressure-cooker atmosphere.
    Girls are also expected to engage in many extra-curriculars, play ay least
    one instrument, and do volunteer work. The sports teams are also superb,
    but non-athletes aren't stigmatized, just baby-sat in basic gym classes while
    the athletes are discovered early on and put into teams. The facilities
    and grounds are breathtaking. The school is now much more racially diverse
    than it was in my time, but, alas, still not socioeconomically diverse. I loved
    the school (its a family tradition to go there, even though we're American)
    but as a gentle soul, I sometimes found it overwhelming.
  7. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    That's hot.
  8. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
  9. adk macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2005
    Stuck in the middle with you
    A good friend of mine went to a prestigious New England boarding school. It taught him that grades can be earned by begging, bargaining, or buying instead of doing the necessary work.
  10. DollFaceDork macrumors 6502

Jul 13, 2011
    I was sent to boarding school at the age of 8 and was a full time boarder by the age of 11 as my parents both worked full time and I am one of 10 children, personally I had a great experience, the teacher to pupil ratio is less and they have more time to teach you, I found I got pushed harder as a result but it's something you get used to.

Given the chance I'd probably do the same on day with any kids I might have but I wouldn't put them full time boarding... I want to actually see my offspring and look after them, rather than having other people do it most of the year.

Very weird, I too went to WA from the age of 11. I was at Stowe before hand.