Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
New York Times

A proposal by a British government agency to let the Internet suggest a name for a $287 million polar research ship probably seemed like a good idea at the time.

Now, the agency is the latest group to see what happens when web users are asked to unleash their creative energy: R.R.S. Boaty McBoatface is a clear front-runner.

People quickly disregarded the more dignified names suggested by the Natural Environment Research Council — Shackleton, Endeavour, Falcon. Instead the contest became the latest in the Internet’s long, storied history to end up with social media users gleefully offering ridiculous names to government-funded projects.

The initiatives are often hilarious but don’t often succeed. Remember when Slovak lawmakers overrode the public’s vote in 2012 to rename a pedestrian bridge after the actor Chuck Norris? Or the debacle in Austin, Tex., a year earlier, when people unsuccessfully tried to name the city’s waste management service after Limp Bizkit’s frontman, Fred Durst?

Corporations have also tried the tactic, and the penalty for trying to play with the Internet tends to be meaner: Mountain Dew learned the hard way when 4 Chan took control of a vote to name a new flavor, and the joke was on Taylor Swift and VH1 when the Internet chose a school for the deaf as a concert location.

We have James Hand, a public relations professional and former BBC employee, to thank (blame?) for this latest episode. Mr. Hand became a bit of an overnight sensation when he submitted the name Boaty McBoatface after seeing reports of the competition last week. Then he watched his creation spin completely out of control.

Other names were: Usain Boat, Boatamus Prime, Ice Ice Baby, and Notthetitanic. lol

Reactions: MacNut and satcomer

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
If you go trolling in a junk yard, you can find marvelous junk. So say the same for the Internet.

Reactions: satcomer

lobeyonekenobi

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
You're a genius finding these hilarious stories, I laughed out load in my office reading this, getting strange looks from my fellow workplace people, Boaty McBoatface, Usain Boat and notthetitanic are the ones that had me in stitches, thank you obeygiant, this made my day.

Reactions: obeygiant

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
You're a genius finding these hilarious stories, I laughed out load in my office reading this, getting strange looks from my fellow workplace people, Boaty McBoatface, Usain Boat and notthetitanic are the ones that had me in stitches, thank you obeygiant, this made my day.

Its been all over the news in the UK....

Its very very british humour though.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Too bad they aren't legally required to use the names the "Internet" picks. As the price you pay for opening these things up to trolls. It's a betrayal of trust to publicly state something then renege because you didn't think it through and don't approve of the outcome. People would have found it funny if they went with the name and no one would care if they quietly changed it later. Now many people will be at least mildly irked by them. Simply because they broke their word. Though they could care less about the ship or it's name.

People would also remember the name. Most people will forget the name SS Cuthbert as some random ship they rode on once. They will always remember SS Boaty McBoatface and probably chuckle or at least smile at the flippant name.

If you want a dignified name while taking public opinion into account. Create a list of acceptable names then only allow a public vote on said names.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
I am English, which is why I love it, reminds me of the motherland, a lot of people don't seem to get British humour:D

Its very silly, but then some of the silliest comedians are british, monty python for example (my belgian best mate just doesn't get it at all).

Anyway, they've settled on RRS Sir David Attenborough...... which is my second choice.

lobeyonekenobi

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Its very silly, but then some of the silliest comedians are british, monty python for example (my belgian best mate just doesn't get it at all).

Anyway, they've settled on RRS Sir David Attenborough...... which is my second choice.
Also dry, sarcastic wit is hard to get, no-one can tell if we're being serious or not:) and it's a real shame they didn't go ahead with the Boaty McBoatface moniker as that would have been so cool, I don't think they'll be holding a poll for this sort of thing in the future.

Reactions: sim667

JackRoch

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
Also dry, sarcastic wit is hard to get, no-one can tell if we're being serious or not:) and it's a real shame they didn't go ahead with the Boaty McBoatface moniker as that would have been so cool, I don't think they'll be holding a poll for this sort of thing in the future.
Well, they haven't er, thrown the Boaty McBoatface name overboard. They've used it for one of the remote submersibles.
Almost inevitably, already there've been complaints it wasn't called Subby McSubface.

lobeyonekenobi

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Well, they haven't er, thrown the Boaty McBoatface name overboard. They've used it for one of the remote submersibles.
Almost inevitably, already there've been complaints it wasn't called Subby McSubface.
Like the pun, made me laugh:D, oh buoy it's still a shame they gave in to pier pressure, makes them look like a bunch of boring old Farty McFartfaces:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.