Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
I couldn't disagree more...

I bought my first Mac (G4 533) less than a year ago and already I feel more comfortable and capable in OSX than I have ever felt with a Windows OS.

This year my dad (age 54) bought his first computer ever. It's a Mac running OSX. He tells me all the time that using a computer is so much easier than he had imagined.

He calls me for help from time to time, sure. But mostly he moves his TiBook from home and office networks seamlessly, sends e-mail, surfs the web, rips and plays music - as well as running his biz apps. All this in his first month of computing - with little to no assistance at all.

So I can't really sympathize with your friend's misfourtine. His paranoia, his lack of patience, his tendency to tinker I'm sure, have gotten his into troubles far more serious than this one. If a bad username is the worst of it, I'd advise him to cut his losses and move on...

On the other hand - if he simply reads the manual, pays attention, and follows instruction, he might have a well working OS (on either side of the field).

PS - Go ahead and tell him to boot from the OSX CD if he's ever interested in changing his Admin name.

The Grimace

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2002
Bend, OR
"boot from the OSX CD if he's ever interested in changing his Admin name."

This is good advice, and something to remember.

"So I can't really sympathize with your friend's misfourtine."

This is cold. Not everyones experience is going to be the same, and there certainly are peculiarities to Mac OS X. Personally, I've accidentally relaunched (I think thats what happened...) the Finder as root, and then did something that allowed me to 'Force Quit' it. Didn't re-launch until I quit every other app. Don't know exactly what I did, either. And this was with 10.1.3. So have a little compassion.

(tig)

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
you are right about that.... not everyones expierences with osx are the same.

i for one am very pleased with osx. i am having no problems with it. i can only imagine what osx will be like 3 years down the road. im sure it will be more of a force to be reaconed with ...it already is

kansaigaijin

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
the great ether
this is cold

I don't think so,
It is a totally different world now,not the old OS any more, requires an investment of time.

I agree with tfaz1 100%.
You can't make assumptions that it is the ols OS, it works great if you come from the other side etc.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
OS X is the best OS I have had the fortune (good or bad) to use. For the normal user (someone that is not a developer of software) it is rock solid. The learning curve is not all that large, and most people can learn it fairly fast. Granted, it has some system requirements that prevented some people from installing it onto their older systems, but you get that with any OS.

On the whole, my own experiences with OS X have been excellent. In all the months that I have been using it, I have only had ONE kernel panic, and that had to do with using a 512MB PC133 memory chip in the lower slot on my rev a TiBook (works fine in the upper slot).

I would like to see some of the software developers/makers get their software up to OS X (native not classic), but that will happen eventually. I have contacted the ones that I care about, and have previous version os, and they are working on it. I heard back from the people who make Poser, and version 5 will be OS X native. No real ETA on it though. I have version 3, but won't update until it is OS X native.

Is there anyone in here that is running OSX exclusively, with no OS 9 installed on the same computer? I am getting ready to go that way, and would like to hear some real world feedback first. If you prefer, just slide me an email via my profile.... and thanks... :D

Oh, and 3 weeks and counting until HD day :D

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
HD Day is March 23rd... the day I get to pick up my brand spankin new 2002 Harley Davidson Softail Standard motorcycle... :D:D:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.