Bob Dylan's The Bootleg Series Volume 5: Rolling Thunder Revue

Discussion in 'Community' started by wsteineker, Apr 24, 2003.

1. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

So who's a Dylan fan here? I was just listening to the above mentioned album, and it occured to me how absolutely great it really is. Anyone here heard the album? What about the other Bootleg Series installments (Royal Albert Hall, Bootleg Box)? Hell, just talk about Dylan. Favorite albums, concert experiences, whatever. Enjoy. :)

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

My Dad got me this for my Christmas. It's really good. I don't have any of the other Bootleg series to compare it too though. Did you get the DVD with yours. It's also great - really nice to be able to see the footage from before I was born!

3. wsteineker thread starter macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

Yeah, I got one of the first run copies that included the DVD. It's so great to watch Dylan when he didn't resemble Vincent Price. Don't get me wrong, he was absolutely vibrant on this last tour (Love & Theft), but he is looking older. What were your favorite tracks on the album? I absolutely loved listening to Hurricane, Isis, and One More Cup of Coffee being played for the first time in public. Really great stuff. The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carrol was great too. It's such a solid album, top to bottom. The recording quality is amazing, too.

You should really pick up the Volume 4 Bootleg. It's the 1969 Royal Albert Hall concert. It's Dylan at the absolute top of his game. Not to mention that the concert is so legendary that it's become a sort of bizarre urban myth. The first three Bootleg albums are a boxed set (around $50) or multi-cd set (around $35). They're really good, and chock full of rarities, b-sides, and alternate takes of studio tracks. It's got a ton of the alternate (first) versions from the Blood on the Tracks sessions. Check it out! :)

Anyone else?