Bob Mansfield's Return to Apple Reportedly Influenced by Scott Forstall's Departure

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 1, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    AllThingsD offers a look at the back-and-forth situation with Apple executive Bob Mansfield, who announced his retirement as hardware chief in late June only to rescind the move two months later in order to work on special projects under CEO Tim Cook. With this week's management changes, Mansfield is now heading up a new "Technologies" division and has committed to remaining at the company for at least two more years.

AllThingsD notes that Mansfield was indeed serious about retiring earlier this year and was enticed to stay on in an advisory capacity to ease the transition. But his all-in commitment to head the new Technologies division was reportedly influenced in no small part by the impending departure of iOS chief Scott Forstall.
    Mansfield is just one of several senior Apple executives taking on new roles in the restructuring, with design guru Jony Ive adding software design to his existing hardware design responsibilities, Eddy Cue picking up Siri and Maps, and Craig Federighi adding iOS to his OS X responsibilities.

Article Link: Bob Mansfield's Return to Apple Reportedly Influenced by Scott Forstall's Departure

2. macrumors 6502

Hey MacRumors,

Have you considered making an Apple drama forum?

Thanks.

3. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Wow, who knew Forstall was so disliked? I'm actually looking forward to seeing what happens with Apple's products over the next 2-3 years, now that there seems to be less divisiveness in the company.

4. macrumors 68040

MattG

I would totally read that.

Hopefully at the very least, consistency in UI between the various apps and parts of iOS. That stitched-leather thing...*shudder*

5. macrumors G4

I'm not surprised by this at all. It seems that Tim Cook decided that Jony Ive + Bob Mansfield were more valuable to the company than Scott Forstall. The whole "un-retirement" thing seemed orchestrated.

On top of that, it's worth pointing out that Mansfield signed an apology letter over the EPEAT matter. Perhaps Tim Cook's theme is that since none of the executives left is Steve Jobs, he won't tolerate Steve Jobs-like egos.

6. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I didn't see this coming but I think it could be a positive change.

7. macrumors 603

nfl46

It's clear now that Scott was only kept because Steve liked him. Thank Goodness Steve highly recommended Tim and not Scott.

8. macrumors 6502a

9. macrumors G4

According to the NY Times article, there could be some UI changes coming to iOS 7.

10. macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

Got nothing to say but best wishes for scott forstall and his future endeavours.

11. macrumors 65816

conclusion of the story: everybody hates Forstall now that Jobs is no longer here to keep him :cool:

12. macrumors 601

BornAgainMac

Working lots of hours and high stress contributes to many heated arguments there. I can understand someone wanting to just retire from it. That Bob guy seems like a cool person.

13. macrumors 6502a

coder12

Bob is my favorite Apple Executive, hopefully he'll present during the next keynote :)

14. macrumors 6502a

iEnvy

Its kind of sad to see people egg this on. Forstall was with the company for a very long time.

It would be interesting to see the actual facts of why Apple employees don't like him. I guess rumors will suffice.

On another note, I really like Bob Mansfield :apple::cool:

15. macrumors 603

Stella

No, probably not. But that's kind of irrelevant, SJ is no longer CEO.

Judging by the rumours, Forstall offered very little to Apple, apart from negativity. No company needs employees like that.

16. macrumors member

Hope it is a new era

Personally, I think Mr. Tim Cook is a better CEO for a company like Apple Inc., in comparison to the man whom I think is one of the most important man in the world in the last twenty years.
    On managing a huge company like Apple, Mr. Tim Cook seems to hold more talent than his predecessor. The only reason is that I believe this an era in which only a great team can change the world.:)

17. macrumors 6502a

Kaibelf

I'll see your Steve/Scott photo, and raise you a "Heck of a job, Brownie!"

18. macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

I'm actually fairly shocked at how many of the top executives at Apple disliked Forstall. At least now, perhaps we'll start to see iOS change up a little bit.

19. macrumors regular

Nice to see Bob Mansfield back at apple!!!
    Let hope he stops around for a while

20. macrumors 65816

Forstall offered very little to Apple? You were the HR person at Apple when all this happened?

21. macrumors 6502

22. macrumors 6502a

Wow, I never would have guess that Forstall was a little punk :rolleyes:

I can't wait until we get some real features in iOS..

23. macrumors 65816

Risco

I think it is clear now that Forstall was the reason there has been little innovation in iOS. Hopefully now he has gone, the shackles are removed and they can finally start moving forward with UI design and functionality.

24. macrumors member

I could not have said it any better.

What is awesome now will be unleashed to perfection. As I said before, Bob rocks! Jony Ive rocks. Tim Cook rocks.

Apple is in good hands. :apple:

25. macrumors regular