bobby fischer in custody

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by zimv20, Jul 16, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

2. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    So much for Searching for Bobby Fischer....

I don't get it... You need a passport to *LEAVE* Japan?

I would love to see him take on some of the great chess computers though

3. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Maybe some post 9/11 rule perhaps?

4. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

when traveling by plane internationally, one must always present a passport

5. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Why is it that some brilliant folks end up nutty? That's a dumb question in this post, because Fisher was ALWAYS nutty. One hell of a chess player though. His victories are the dividing line between "classical" style and "modern" play. Read about his teqnique if you feel the urge one day. Enlightening, and it gives some idea of how the human brain can move mountains. He was my inspiration early in my chess career.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

it would be incredibly lame if the justice department actually did something to him for playing a chess game in 1992. :rolleyes:

7. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

i suspect any retribution he would face now would be more motivated by his anti-americanism. call me cynical.

8. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

If he wants to play chess is a land ruled by an evil dictator that's his business.
    sheesh...

9. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

If you find this interesting and want to read more about Fischer, I recommend the following article. It's long, but interesting, and gives a good account of the events and decisions leading up to Fischer's present state. The 2002 Atlantic Monthly can be found here:

Bobby Fischer's Pathetic Endgame

10. justinshiding macrumors member

That was a good article, I remember reading it online a while back. It was hard to find a place near me that actually had a copy of the Atlantic (oddly enough... stupid newstands ) There was actually a book (not about bobby fischer ..and slighty off topic) that basically stated a theory that creative intelligence was linked to mental vulnerabilities (much like schizophrenia has been shown to be more prevalent in "intelligent" people.) I think it was called Creativity and madness...but cant say for sure. Very interesting book though...

11. Colonel Panik macrumors regular

I don't want to sound anti-American, but it's pathetic that in the land of the free, a man can't travel to another country to play a game of chess. So what if he's not patriotic.

He reminds me of John Nash.

Sad sad sad times we are living in.

12. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Highly recommended!

The Atlantic Monthly really is an excellent magazine. Even if you disagree with some of their articles, you can't argue with their well thought out and presented arguments. Unlike most of the other drivel and lies that passes itself off as journalism these days :(

As for Bobby - check mate!

13. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

He doesn't, that's why he left the US in the first place!

I love the fact he was helped in hiding by some japanese chess players. Chess players of the world unite!

14. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

That was a good article. It's sad to hear about a genius going crazy though. The descriptions of his matches were good - at some point it says "he not only beats you, he humiliates you" (or words to that effect)

15. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

Poor Fischer....he's realy just a pawn in all of this.

har-de-har

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

They CAPTURED him EN PASSANT while CHECKING his passport. Maybe he should have hidden in the DUTY FREE (bi)SHOP at the airport. He's no longer KING (or QUEEN) of the world, living in a CASTLE; now's he's just one of the RANK AND FILE. He was ROOKED and will now spend the KNIGHT in custody, where he will probably get BOARD waiting for this affair to PLAY out, beginning with the OPENING arguments in his court case. G'day, MATE.

17. w00master macrumors 65816

Unfortunately, Bobby Fischer (perhaps in his craziness???) is known to be anti-semetic. Also, he's been well known for statements applauding the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

Perhaps it is his mental health issues, but it's really tough to defend the chess legend with those issues under his belt now.

w00master

18. acdninjapan macrumors newbie

acdninjapan

I have been talking to his legal counsel here in Tokyo, John is pretty pessimistic about the outcome.

19. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

So, this guy was arrested for playing a stinking game of chess. That's sad. You'd be pissed off too if you had to live in exile all because of a chess game.

20. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Actually, according to the very first sentence of the news story that kicked off this thread,
    Since he is wanted in the U.S., he will probably be deported (although I don't think this has actually happened yet). Bobby Fischer is under indictment because he violated an executive order forbidding Americans to do business in Yugoslavia while that country was under U.N. sanctions.

21. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Lyle, I see that you are proficient in making bold text. I congratulate you. The main point is that he played a chess game in Yugoslavia. Beyond that, he would be a free man now. It is just sad to me that they are so worried about this, while there are murderers and drug dealers roaming the streets.

22. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If he had just gone to play a simple chess match, there wouldn't have been a problem. It was the 3 million dollar business transaction behind it that made it a big deal.

23. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    12 years ago. Wouldn't the statue of limitations have already passed?

24. AhmedFaisal Guest

So what? Your Ex-President and President by last name are doing billion dollar business with a regime that executes people and violates basic human rights on a daily basis, where is the difference?
    So he is also an antisemitic and anti-american nutcase, so what, give him a lifetime prescription of PROZAC and leave him be, no one gives a **** about him anymore anyways. And besides, he was nuts from the very beginning, just back then he was useful. Bush and his cronies should wipe the pee out of their eyes and go hunt real terrorists for a change instead of going after fruitbasket ex-dictators and chess-players.
    'nuff said!
    Ahmed