"Bodies" expo closed in Caracas

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by dllavaneras, Mar 4, 2009.

1. macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Original story (in spanish).

Translation:

(The translation is my own, and any mistakes are my own fault. The original article does have a few grammatical and structure errors, though.)

CICPC = A police force (Scientific, Penal and Criminal Investigations Core)
    Seniat = The Venezuelan equivalent of the IRS

Bodies Expo site link
    ----------

Really, what the heck? Closing the expo because they display corpses? That's the whole point! :mad:

2. macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Interesting. I guess they've received a lot of criticism because the suppliers of the parts/bodies (mostly based in China) have sketchy ways to get the parts and some people think that they may be from political prisoners/opposers. I have no clue but I know that has been a reputation the Bodies exhibits have received from some of the groups in the States.

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

If that's the case, then why let them ship the expo 6,000 miles in the first place? If they had a problem with it, then a simple "No, we won't let you show it" would have sufficed.

4. macrumors G3

NT1440

Sometimes it seems that countries just WANT to waste their money after the fact.

5. macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

I think some countries/regions/people/organizations have different opinions as to what's acceptable. Maybe they were debating it and decided that they didn't want it after they saw exactly what they were displaying.

If you read the Criticism section in the link you'll see that it's been widely debated and closed in different places but not in others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BODIES..._The_Exhibition

6. macrumors 6502a

I saw one of the Bodies exibits in Vegas a few years back. Awsome.

I wondered why they looked "Asian" then read where the bodies came from.
    A Chinese coworker of mine said that they probably would not have volunteered to have their bodies displayed like that because it goes against their culture. She suspected they were most likely vagrants whose relatives would not claim the bodies to avoid paying medical bills. I seem to racal there was some questions as to the ethics used to obtain the bodies.