Bodies of 2 girls founds in Illinois woods [CNN]

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by jsw, May 9, 2005.

1. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

From CNN:
    Is this happening more often, is it being reported more widely, or am I just becoming more aware of these stories? Seems like there's a new one every few days, and it seems like it always involves young girls.

Terrible.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i doubt that these are occuring at a higher incident, its more likely that the media is just starting to make a big deal out of them. Many people think crime rates are a lot worse than they are simply because thats all you hear about on the news. its sad for those girls though, i hope they find who did this to them, or what caused this

3. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    There is no information that it was a someone. It could have been an accident or an animal.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

hence why i also put "or what caused this" ;) :D
    but i always feel bad for the parents, it must be hard, i cannot imagine :(

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

I saw this earlier and almost posted, but I figured as the resident poster of depressing news stories, you should take it.

I don't think it's happening more often, but as a parent, I think every one of these stories hits closer to home. I can't imagine getting a call from the police telling me they've found the body of my daughter :(

6. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Slow news day always bring about these type of stories. Dateline NBC for example, they used to do great pieces, but all these murder mysteries are really tiresome.

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

True, but when you hear "bodies found in the woods" and those woods are outside Chicago, not in the wild areas of Montana or something, you first think of foul play. Especially since they were so young - most parents wouldn't let their 8-year-old daughters out to roam around the woods by themselves.

But it could have been an accident if they were off by themselves - I was almost one of those news stories as a teenager, as a friend of mine and I were caught in a "mini-avalanche" in a local ravine.

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

yeah, media coverage of these incidents has increased steadily over the last 20 years or so, the whole "stranger danger" concept has been around since the 70's, and once they developed programs to try and curb child abduction/killing, failures became headlines. Think about how many kids were probably snatched over the last century, during the depression and before it, etc. I would guess we're probably at one of the lowest rates in history, we just lack perspective.

Of course, no one is yet interested in the biological and psychological causes of pedophelia, which is the root of at least many of these. "pedos should be killed" is the extent of society's involvement. Which is a pity, because by now, we might have better treatment programs for these people, which could lower the child abduction rate even further. I think they need to have non-stigmatizing clinics where these people can go before they do something impulsive, since many child-killers (especially serial child-killers) expressed a desire to "get help" before hand but were afraid of being locked away in prision/asylum for the rest of their lives... I know it's deeply disturbing to imagine, but imagine having the impulse to harm kids, and the desire to get help... What do you think they'd say if you tried to get help in today's medical and legal systems?

9. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Its being investigated as a murder.

I guess I was thinking of growing up in the 'burbs and walking home from school at that age. There were some place where the woods went back and back.

10. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

I heard something very similar to this and that the cause of the murder was that "the girl refused to want to go to bed."

This makes a grown man cry.

11. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My prayers go out to the victims, their families, and friends. It's just with 24/7 media coverage, that we hear about more of these incidents. There was an incident of a brother and sister that went missing. I think they were about 3 and 4. The four year old had just learned how to open the front door and gate. After an investigation it turned out that the children had drowned in the pond.

12. emw macrumors G4

emw

*looks at pictures of kids on desk and holds the tears back*

13. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

14. emw macrumors G4

emw

15. emw macrumors G4

emw

Just saw on CNN that they have charged the father of one of the girls. Unimaginable. :(

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

17. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Also heard that the father was just released from prison a month ago for aggravated assault. That he beat to death and stabbed his own daughter and a friend. There is no punishment available that would be what he deserves. How long will this kind of thing keep happening before something is done. This is just so upsetting, a tear is needed. Just so heinous.
    :( :(

18. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Yeah really sad news, its making it on the world news headlines in Australia.

19. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

20. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

From the wtf department...

Sounds like this guy is a real piece of work.