Body heat . . . on the PB 12"

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Jennifer, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Jennifer macrumors member

Feb 20, 2004
    I just got a PB 12" and all has been running well (at least nothing noticeable). I have noticed it does get a bit warm, which has not bothered me because it has never been too hot to touch.

Recently, though, I have noticed more heat centralized on the hard drive side rather than all over. I don't remember this behaviour. What I recall is that it used to get hot all over (thus, good heat distribution, I assumed).

What all you PB users observing? In the first 15 minutes or so of use a slight heating on the hard drive side and very, very slight on the optical drive side OR an even distribution of heat right away. After lond term use, still a bit warmer hard drive side?

Thanks in advance for dispeling some amount of worry over here.

Jennifer :confused:
  2. Teronke macrumors member

Oct 3, 2003
    I find that the hard drive side is always that bit warmer. The rest gets warm as well but the hardrive plus bits above the keyboard are the hottest parts of the 12 Pbooks during heavy use.
  3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    the side with the hard drive is always warmer on mine, the trackpad and right side of the computer get a little warm if im using it intensively but im so used to it now that when the left side isnt warm i notice instead of the other way around.....
  4. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    i find the left hand side being warmer also, i dont think it is anything to worry about.
  5. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    The left side is where all the "stuff" is. The right side only contains the optical drive and battery, so it rarely gets warm. The left back corner is where the processor and GPU are, so that area gets hottest. The hard disk is located directly under the left palm rest, and only gets warm at best.
  6. wPod macrumors 68000

Aug 19, 2003
    Denver, CO
    yes. . . what they said. i personally stick two carabiners under mine (one in front one in back) and that allows air to flow under and around everything to keep it cool. there are a number of items sold that are designed to keep your PB off the table with ample air flow (i think i even saw one with electrical fans) but anything helps, even a couple pieces of wood.
  7. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

Sep 15, 2003
    St Helens, UK
    It gets nice en toasty on a regular basis for me, dont mind as it usually warms me up :)
  8. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    yeah gets warm. its worse when the battery charges.
  9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    Yep, those PowerBooks get hot. I highly recommend the RoadTools Coolpad for any laptop. For $20 you can't go wrong and I bet you'll find it to be indispensable almost immediately.