Body work

Discussion in 'Community' started by bousozoku, Mar 26, 2004.

1. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I just enjoyed a collision at a red stop light. I think I'm going to buy a yellow car so people will notice it, although people have hit school buses and they're hard not to see. I really don't want to drive any more. There just seem to be too many people who aren't paying attention. This woman didn't even speak enough English to explain to the police that she didn't know what was going on and just ran into my car. :rolleyes:

Definitely, I need a new rear window and hitch, but the exhaust sounds funny too.

Attached Files:

2. macka macrumors regular

Hmm...sorry about your car.

At least it'll be the woman and not you who'll pay for your new all-noticing yellow car with a solid rear window, hitch and a fantastic sounding exhaust. :p

3. neut macrumors 68000

neut

lame; sorry you have to deal with that ****, did she have insurance?

just get a H2 (j/k) or ride your bike all the time... and stay out of the way of crazy people!

cars AND their drivers suck.

peace.

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i bet that rack did a nice job on her car :D

iJon

5. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

I hope that you jumped on her and started biting her about the face like a rabid wolverine.

6. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

Thanks for your thoughts.

The bike rack obviously took the brunt of the collision and survived it beautifully. Thule is so good! :) On the other hand, I got the hitch at U-Haul and it's more than somewhat bent. I should be extremely happy I didn't have a bike on the back.

Her parents' car (the one she was driving) looked as if it only had scratches but I wasn't too concerned so I probably didn't examine it so carefully. It's probably the first time a woman has gotten into trouble watching a guy's rack. :D

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

8. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Maybe she was checking you out and was stunned by your beauty and crashed... ;) Or she is just a bad driver... :rolleyes:

9. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

Ouch. That sucks. I've seen cars that have rear-ended trucks with trailer hitches on them before... Lets just say creased bumpers aren't a pretty thing, but the truck was fine...

Fortunately I've only been in 1 accident, although it happened to be with a woman (and it was her fault!!!)

I find it hard not to see a big white suburban when you're pulling out of a parking lot, but somehow she managed. It did a good number on the suburban too... 1 door replaced, frame bent, wheel screwed up, and several side panels screwed up. She T-Boned me at full, ramming speed. Lets just say that I was lucky there was nobody else in the lane to the left of me...

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Female driver runs into a large object on the road...

Does he need to say anthing more?

[​IMG]

11. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

Thanks to you too.

I've been dwelling on this a bit much. Last year, about this time, some female did the same type of thing as we were all leaving school. It was at night though, but I had my lights on and those are very bright. Two or three weeks later, some old fool pulled out into the lane where I was and we scraped mirrors. Had I not moved and accelerated, I would have gotten a couple of new doors.

I want to move back to Philly and give up cars. I liked using public transportation and with all these people around Orlando, it's even more of a reason to give up driving.

12. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Don't give up faith. There are plenty of responsible drivers out there, and it is only a few bad apples who ruin it for others. Be thankfull that you were not injured and that no one else was as well. Sorry to hear about your car, like my father always told me: "This too shall pass"

13. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

Yes, she had insurance. In fact, it was the same insurance company as mine. Hopefully, things will be processed quickly because of it.

I've ridden my bike in traffic quite a bit. One day, some dude didn't want to stop for a red light and almost hit me. Then, he drove slowly down the block cursing at me and honking the horn the whole way.

I'm still awake. The aches have finally taken hold and it seems funny to me that she didn't even try to apologise--not even in Spanish. I guess since she didn't think that I could speak or understand Spanish, she didn't have to feel bad about it. She was only worried about what her dad was going to say.

Koodauw:

I'd like to believe that there are good drivers out there. I've seen two or three in the last seven years in this area. Maybe if more of the bad drivers run into me, they'll be charged and won't be able to afford insurance and eventually, they'll not be able to drive. (There are plenty of unisured drivers in Floriduh--they don't remove their tags/plates or put a boot on the car here.) Faith? I don't have any left.

14. iGav macrumors G3

ouch matey! glad to hear you're dandy except for the customary aches though...

yellow cars are cheaper on the insurance here than any other colour.... ;)

15. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm sorry to hear about your accident bousozoku. Just glad that you are OK, that's what is really important. I had an accident in 1988 and haven't driven since.

Silver is also considered to be a safe color for safety.

16. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

Thanks!

Yellow seems safest to me, although we've had a couple of incidents where people ran into school buses, which are orange/yellow. :eek: :rolleyes:

I guess there is a silver lining to this story. I was examining the underside of the car, concerning the hitch, and found that at least one tyre was seriously in trouble. I just replaced all 4 tyres today. Had I gone much longer, I might have caused an accident. :eek:

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Good thing you caught the tire problem...

Can you get a Golf GLS in yellow?

I remember Beetles and GTIs being offered yellow, every now and then -- but not Golfs.

18. Opteron macrumors 6502

I hit a car on my bike @ 40km/h on my way to school (it was wet) ($2000 damge to car and $3000 to my bike, insurence picked up the whole tab.)

bad luck dude, though the person that hit you should have to pick up the tab.

19. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

No, plain Golfs cannot be yellow. The anniversary GTI was shown in yellow. For that matter, so was the Corrado, before I bought the blue one.

If i had a choice, I would probably go with the new Mazda 3 5-door.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPage.action?pageParameter=Mazda3c&sectionParameter=

After all the power window problems and denial from VW, I think I want another Mazda. Now, if I had the money. A Subaru Impreza WRX looks good too but someone would run into me.

20. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

How's the public transportation in Boston? The rail system here in Los Angeles is fairly new, but it covers only a miniscule percentage of the city. You pretty much have to take a bus from most places to most places, which makes it very slow to get across town. Which, in turn, makes more people want to drive instead.

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I think that the public transportation in Boston is great. I'm able to get anywhere that I want to go. I have 3 bus lines that go on the next street from my house. There is a Commuter rail right behind my house, with the stop only 2 blocks away. It goes to downtown Boston. There is an additional bus line 2 blocks the other way from my house. So that I can get to three major subway lines. It costs a $1.00 for the bus and $1.25 for the subway.

22. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

That's fairly inexpensive.

In Philly, it used to be $1.50 for any one way trip and certain cross-overs onto other lines, but you could go anywhere. It was also fairly reliable. Where I lived in Northeast Philly, there was a train and bus stop within 5 minutes walk.

Here, around Orlando, they have massive buses which are rarely filled and the routes aren't always useful. The only good thing is that, you can take your bike with you as all the buses have bike racks.

23. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

ACTUALLY, red is the most noticeable color to the human eye as well as the last color embedded in the cones of the retina. If you are going to get a color that is noticeable, get RED

24. macka macrumors regular

Unless of course you happen to be colour blind. :(

25. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

Actually, with men 30 and over, red is increasingly difficult to see. Of course, noticing that two women have hit me in a year in the car's rear, anything other than black would be good. :)

I'm really disappointed with Nationwide Insurance. It's been 1.5 days now and I still have no rear window or even a phone call about repairing it.