Boehner shelves Sandy Aide Bill

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Jan 2, 2013.

1. macrumors 68000

mcrain

The Fiscal Cliff PR disaster and now this?

2. macrumors G5

leekohler

The GOP does not care about who they hurt on their quest for power. They haven't for a long time.

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

The Senate already passed the aide bill, and there is almost a zero percent chance that the bill doesn't get passed at some point in the future. In other words, by not voting on this bill, Boehner has required the Senate to vote again on the bill wasting even more money.

4. macrumors G5

leekohler

Boner is a giant douche. Good luck getting re-elected, ***wipe.

5. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Boehner did this because the Republicans couldn't care less about the NE states where they have but a handful of national elected officials. The base will love it, it will probably help him get re-elected speaker and the new Congress will pass an aid bill next week. One can only hope the big money folks remember this when the Republicans come here with their hands out.

Katrina bill passed in 4 or 5 days, it's now 9 weeks since Sandy and we're still negotiating. WTF has happened to our government?

6. macrumors G5

yg17

Sadly, I don't think the giant orange boner will have any problem getting re-elected, his district is a dark red.

7. macrumors 68000

NickZac

While I have a lot of issues with the GOP (as well as the democrats), I don't think this is exclusively the GOP in unanimous dissent.

8. macrumors 603

Well, you can say one thing about Boehner...

his name is quite appropriate for him. ;):D

9. macrumors 65816

Your use of the word "unanimous" is a strange qualification.

Rarely will you find a party unanimous on any subject.

The fact that Republicans weren't unanimous on this doesn't change the fact that they kept the vote from coming up.

10. macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    If the senate bill included spending for items such as fisheries in America Samoa, 58 million for tree planting on privately owned property, and roof repairs for Washington, D.C. museums (as reported in the media) then the bill should not have been voted on and needs rewriting.

I'm all for emergency aid to the folks trying to put things back together after Hurricane Sandy. Strip out all the non-Hurricane Sandy crap the senate inserted, and approve the bill immediately.

A bill purporting to provide aid for Hurricane Sandy victims should do precisely that - and nothing else.

11. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If that's true, I agree. We just can't keep doing business the old way. That said, pundits are now writing that it was Boehner giving Cantor a big **** you. Boehner's office is referring all inquiries into why there was no vote to Cantor's office.

12. macrumors G3

Huntn

Anyone remember the good ole days when the federal gov had enough cash they could cover disasters like this without using plastic?

13. macrumors 68000

NickZac

I disagree...the GOP has frequently been unanimous on some issues. But if a single or small group prevented the vote, then they should be singled out specifically. It sounds like it was one person who prevented the vote.

14. AhmedFaisal, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013

<snip>

15. macrumors Core

MacNut

We can't do anything now without using plastic. The whole budget is being put on the charge card.

Fema seems to be slow as dirt here, we have not heard anything yet from our insurance company regarding our flood insurance claim.

16. macrumors 603

The Republican party is heading towards epic collapse over the next few years and it's going to be hilarious to watch every minute.

17. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

As expected, Christie ripped the Reps. and Boehner a new one.

Watch the Dems vote Boehner in as speaker if the Reps. put up a more right wing person for the job.

18. macrumors Core

MacNut

I can see Christie as the turning force in the Republican party. If he ever runs for President it's going to be a fun ride.

19. macrumors 603

Didn't the House already vote him as Speaker for 2 more years about a month ago?

20. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Nope. He stands for election tomorrow after new house is sworn in.

21. macrumors 68030

bradl

This is if the Reds don't muck things up even more, making Christie revisit his reasons to stay Red, and perhaps turn Blue or White.

BL.

22. macrumors Core

MacNut

The Republicans need to worry about Christie in what ever party he is in.

23. macrumors 68030

bradl

Very true. At this point, given his actions at the RNC, I would have laughed him off and lambasted him. After his work with Obama after Sandy, he now has my attention, like being tapped on the shoulder to just turn around. It will be interesting to see where his political career takes him now.

And this is a first, all the Reds in this forum; though I wasn't alive yet to see the Great Southern Strategy take hold, this would be the first Red that would have caught my attention in a positive sense in my life.

BL.

24. AhmedFaisal, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013

<snip>

25. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If he wants to be president, he needs to do two things One is lose weight; he is morbidly obese. He's well over 300 lbs.

The second is to tone it down. A presidential candidate can't be out there yelling at constituents and taking the bait every time someone screams something at him.