Bogus IQ/SAT Scores Criminal

Discussion in 'Community' started by Sun Baked, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

We keep getting people bragging about their IQ on MR.

Be careful.:)

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

Re: Bogus IQ/SAT Scores Criminal

HAHAHA! that thread was getting to me too ;)

3. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i remember posting my iq and sat scores on a previous thread, and while my scores put me at 77th pencentile sat english and 99th percentile in sat math, most people's scores on macrumors were way higher than mine

my iq score, in the 97th percentile, was the lowest score mentioned i think

so either the people on macrumors are very, very smart or they like to brag...i guess jail time for fraud is not such a bad thing

and one more thing

there is no such thing as a measureable iq over 200

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Yes, I think many people here are guilty of lying about IQ/SAT scores.

I only know the scores I've gotten off the IQ sites that have been posted here although I'll be taking the SATs this year.

scem0

5. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

good luck on your SATs

take it more than once to get a good score...i started with an 880 on my first take, second time was 130 points higher and then the third take was 140 points higher than the second take...so i walked off with an 1150 and even with a dismal gpa in high school, i was able to choose from a pretty wide range of colleges and universities

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

My GPA is pretty dismal (3.1 on a 4.0 scale), but that is going to increase a lot by the end of my senior year. I am taking all regulars courses this year and I am breezing my way through with high A's.

The only problem is boredom. I have a frickin' 101.8 in Algebra II and I sleep during that class and I always do the homework during lunch.

I'm not too worried about the SATs because I've always been a great tester. I'm just bad at getting my homework done, hence my 3.1 GPA. But I can do all my homework this year during lunch, so thats why my grades are going up so much. If only homework wasn't required and grades were classwork, participation, and tests.

Its unfair for the people who don't need to do the homework to learn the material to count homework IMO.

scem0

7. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

when i was in high school, a 3.1 was considered pretty good...also at the same time, there was no gpa over 4.0 and all classes were weighted the same

but your gpa should not pose a problem for admisssions counselors

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

yeah, the IQ thread was pretty bad. an *awful* lot of geniuses. now of course i was telling the truth, i must assert, and tho i can't find my results, i would gladly post a scan of my mensa card as proof. the rest of you tho... ;)

parents get so competitive with kids. it's a shame.

pnw

9. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

jef, most colleges will disregard any weighting you have in high school and place you on a 4.0 scale.

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

when i went to high school, nobody had a 5.0 scale and smarter students took advanced classes just for the challenge and if they got a lower grade, well, tough beans

and the SAT was scored much more strictly than it is today

it's all a product of grade inflation and it reminds me of gas inflation in california, i paid $1.98 the other day and i was happy and when i started driving 25 years ago, i couldn't possibly imagine when i would consider anything less than two dollar a gallon something to be happy about

the way things go, one day some of the younger posters will be happy that they are paying less than ten dollars a gallon:p

11. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

12. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Whats funny is that some colleges say oh we don't pay attention to SAT score while others say they don't pay attention to GPA or class rank, while other say they ignore your extra activities.
    So my conclusion is that if you completely fail GPA 0, get a 600 on the SATs and do nothing at school then you will get noticed;)
    I'm so sick of tests but at least I dont get shafted by the new SAT, I miss it by one year whew.
    Think about it since grade 1 we have been preparing for the SAT now they change it and we have been studying the wrong thing for the past 12 years. I feel really sorry the High School Juniors, you guys are going to get wrecked.

13. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

:mad: :mad: :mad: :eek: :rolleyes:

yeah school systems suck.

scem0

14. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

The juniors have been preparing for the old SAT test since grade 1 now they get to be guinea pigs for the new SAT, the whole school curriculum will have to change now to teach to the new SAT.

15. janey macrumors 603

janey

ehhh
    that is so lame.
    anyway, its after 140-150 where IQ scores become pure speculation. the standard IQ tests in use right now are not capable of measuring anything really low or really high.

but i can be pretty sure my IQ is 145+, since you do need verified, official IQ scores to get into a highly gifted program in the LAUSD. Besides, back when i took it i thought it was a lot of fun because i got to play with building blocks and stuff and my parents didnt really understand what the principal was saying...so its not like they'd find some way to cheat on it :p

Anyway...who gives a **** about GPAs and SAT scores and stuff like that...no big deal...its not like its going to kill you (but nowadays it seems like it can)

16. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Wow. I'm glad I don't have to go be a guinea pig on some new SAT. I was just looking at the changes listed over on collegeboard.com and it don't look like fun. It looks like they too the SAT II: Writing and stuck it in the SAT I. More fun...

Why eliminate analogies? You either know the words or you don't.

Steve Jobs is to Bill Gates as Mac OS is to __________.

A. Windows
    B. Motorcycle
    C. BMW
    D. PowerPC

I did well on the first one so I wouldn't want to take a chance on the new one.

17. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

Taking the SAT more than once is only applicable if you have lots of money.

When I was going to high school, there was not a whole lot of money, so I only took it once. Got pretty decent, if I don't say so. Now, after high school and college, I make pretty decent money, but I still remember how it was way back when.

I guess this is why I take it personally when people start talking about taxing the rich more over in the Politics forum.

18. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

They were all using the eMode.com results. eMode seems to be set up to pat you on the back and intice you to buy the $20 "Intelligence Report" so you can brag to your friends about how your IQ is 195.

I have never taken taken a real IQ test so I have no idea what my intelligence is and can't make many claims.

I was surprised at my SAT scores, my english score was sky high compared to my math score. I expected it to be vice versa.

scem0, are you a junior or a sophmore? I took a look at collegeboard.com and it said the new SAT comes into effect in Spring 2005 for the current sophmore class.

19. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Really? I don't remember it being that much. Then again, I only took it once when I was 16, nailed a 1210 and didn't take it again. I thought it was about $50.

20. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

And your point is?

I don't remember it being $50. This was back in '86. Even so, the cost of the test was plenty big for my family when I was growing up.

21. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I love it... You can get better grades in normal classes, and be able to get into the top of your class (or close), than by taking the harder classes... Weighting the classes works some, but I know there were a bunch of stupid people ranked higher than me... At least I got into the university I wanted to. That's what I'd focus on in high school. Get good grades. High school educations in Texas are a joke, and I'm not kidding. I won't say that we have a good education system. Not when they fire old, experienced teachers for newer inexperienced teacher just to save some money...

22. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Man, Paul, I stopped paying the membership fees for that a few years ago when they got hiked the SECOND YEAR in a row. You know, the only good thing about that organization (for me at least) was the magazine. The letters to the editor section is extremely interesting. Great debates there.

Of course, I realize that it is important for those people who feel alienated/neglected because of their supposed "intelligence." I also understand that a lot of people blame their own lack of success or lack of human interaction skills on the problems of their personal brilliance being misunderstood. I consider that displacement of blame. IQ is not an end in itself. It is one factor in a whole slew, and more often than not, good work ethic/study skills or general aptitude in a subject is far more important than the vague category "IQ."

In fact, I generally figure that IQ is essentially a pretty bogus value, as it is different based on what test you take and how much prep you put in before that test (yes, you can prepare for an IQ test, like any other test, because it is a human construction for evaluation--it's imperfect).

Most of these tests are foolish attempts to quantify qualities too complex to be distilled into a number. Unfortunately, we all buy into the game, because the prize is important.

My friend, for example, kind of hijacked my scores once. He went around telling everyone that he had scored a 1560 on the SAT and that he had once scored a 1600 on a practice test ("I have it at home! I can bring it in!"). So someone, extremely skeptical, asked what the score breakdowns were. They, unfortunately, didn't add up to 1560. I found out later (I saw his score report when I was over at his house) that he had scored around a 1250. That's really not a bad score at all. It's quite good. That competitive pressures (despite the fact that I was a grade higher than him) and issues of pride and inadequacy made him feel it was necessary to lie about his scores is only a testament to the detrimental nature of these tests.

It's too bad that our students are over-tested, but at least we (the US) are not as bad as Asian countries, which rely almost solely on standardized test scores to evaluate their students.

übergeek: you said who cares about GPAs and SAT scores? Well, clearly, everybody. The importance of test is not in its inherent value, but in its perceived value by society. GPAs, on the other hand, are valuable tools, because they measure cumulative performance over a long period of time. They don't take into account unfortunate circumstances like sickness, etc., but such inconsistencies are marginalized by the breadth of time and evaluations that go into the calculation of a cumulative GPA.

23. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i got a 222 scoring index on my PSAT, 7 points above the 215 National Merit Cutoff in my state of Texas. yet, somehow i only got a 1430 on my SAT. maybe that's because i didn't cheat the sh*t out of if by taking prep classes and studying.

anyone know how to verify these scores in some practical, free manner?

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Relax, we're not talking about taxing the rich more, we're talking about taxing the super-rich more. If you aren't worth more than say $10 million I want you to be getting there as fast as possible.:p

25. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i figured it out

frohickey is super rich and he is.....drum roll please.....bill gates:p

now on his level any income tax increase can make a person lose sleep...i used to think the rich don't lose sleep on losing one dollar as much as the poor person, but real life has shown me that the rich lose more sleep over one dollar and that's why they are rich

whether i read a murder mystery about a billionaire offing the chairman of the federal reserve for a half percent tax increase or a true life bio about a billionaire entertainment guru who goes through his concert halls in new york and san francisco wading thru vomit and broken beer bottles to acquire an average of a dollar in loose change, a dollar is worth a lot more to a billionaire in his thinking than the average person