Bolder brower type since Tiger upgrade

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TitanJeff, Jun 15, 2005.

1. TitanJeff macrumors regular

TitanJeff

I just uploaded Tiger and notice the font used in Firefox, Safari and IE all appear to be much bolder now to the point of being unreadable at smaller sizes.

I assume this has to be a font(s) that were replaced but I can't seem to correct the problem no matter which font I use in the browser preferences. Everything appears extremely bold.

Anyone else run into this situation? Thanks.

2. jim. macrumors 6502

I can't say that I noticed anything like that. Perhaps it has to do with Tiger's new font rendering? Have you tried messing around with the font smoothing style in System Prefs -> Appearances? Maybe it is the culprit.

Jim

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Check for font smoothing preference in the Appearance preference pane.

4. TitanJeff thread starter macrumors regular

TitanJeff

This did help but I'm still getting some weirdness with light text on darker backgrounds being really bold. I went with light on the smoothing prefs but it still appears to be a font issue of some sorts.

Thanks.

5. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

Change the font smoothing to "Best for CRT". Do that and reboot and it should solve the problem.

It sounds weird I know, as it IS an LCD screen but I had the exact same issue and this worked for me.

Vanilla

6. jim. macrumors 6502

What type of weirdness do you mean TitanJeff? Could you take a screenie for us, or point me to somewhere so I can see if it affects me also? Before you said it was just for smaller text. Is that still the case? Have you tried changing the minimum size for font smoothing? It is in the same place as the smoothing style selection.

Jim

7. TitanJeff thread starter macrumors regular

TitanJeff

Here's a little screenie and it appears the worst in light text on a dark background as the same Google ads look fine to me on this forum.

Attached Files:

8. TitanJeff thread starter macrumors regular

TitanJeff

That took care of it for me. Much better. Many thanks!

9. Vanilla macrumors 6502a

No problem, glad to be able to help. God knows why it works, as its not exactly intuitive but there you go. Maybe they'll sort it out in later releases.

Now in return for my largesse, if you could forward me the six numbers that will win our local national lottery I'd be most grateful ;-)

Vanilla