Bomblets Hurt Lebanese Children

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MACDRIVE, Aug 21, 2006.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Link

After I read this news story, I felt saddened and ashamed to learn that these horrible weapons are made right here in my own country. If there's one good thing to say about a bullet, at least it's harmless after its been used. :(

2. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

don't beat yourself up over it. The things are American-made, but we didn't tell the Israelis to use them. And at any rate, this particular type of munition produces far less collateral damage (damage to buildings in particular) than a conventional missile or artillery strike.

having said that, I am in fundamental agreement with the idea that it was irresponsible of the Israelis to deploy this stuff in a populated areas. They were just asking for something like this to happen.

3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Wasn't real civilized of the Hezzies to set up their redoubts and rocket launchers in civilized areas, either. But, that's just part of their propaganda deal: Hide behind women and children and shoot. Then when there's return fire, holler about hurting women and children...

Scum.

'Rat

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Scum all the way around in that region then...

5. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Dosent matter Israel should be the bigger man. What exactly makes them better then Hezbollah at this point?

I'm not saying they shouldnt fight back but they shouldnt use widespread damage cluster bombs.

6. PickledSquirrel macrumors regular

PickledSquirrel

Whether Hezbollah hides behind civilians or not, remains disputed

http://jurist.law.pitt.edu/paperchase/2006/08/some-israel-attacks-war-crimes-hrw.php

Israel killing hundreds of civilians, however, does not.

-Squirrel

7. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Unless it's made of depleted uranium, which just happens to be the Pentagon's favorite new heavy metal.

8. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I hate Hezbollah's politics, but this stuff drives me crazy. Hezbollah is made up of the people of Lebanon, in particular from the Shi'a minority. The setting up of their "redoubts and rocket launchers in civilized area" is the same tactics of every guerrilla army in history, starting with the Minutemen of 1776 hiding their arms caches among themselves. These are by-and-large militia fighters who grab hidden weapons to fight when their homes are being attacked. The hiding "behind women and children" is nonsense. Those are their women and children and their homes who they think they are defending, not hiding behind. Would you do any different if your country was being invaded? Talk about propaganda? Damn!

Want to beat Hezbollah, 'Rat? How about giving a damn about the Lebanese people and peacefully supporting real alternatives to Hezbollah. That would be nice for a change. Right now, Lebanon is trying to dig out from under billions of dollars in damage from this war, and if the Bush administration really wants to help defeat Hezbollah it would contribute more than the pittance it has earmarked for this effort, and it would push for a lasting peace to allow the rebuilding to take place. In a peaceful and prosperous Lebanon, Hezbollah's politics don't have a chance.

To the point of the OP these bomblets have been a huge problem in every war the US has used cluster bombs in. In Afghanistan the bomblets looked remarkably like the food packages being dropped by US planes so that many innnocent people, mostly children were injured. Now it's Lebanon's turn to deal with all the unexploded US ordinance via the IDF.

9. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

not the first time this has happened either. I believe there was a similar incident some years ago in which the Israelis were induced to fire upon a refugee camp, claiming that a rocket attack (or something like it) originated from there. The Hez is smart enough to know that the war isn't being fought in Lebanon, it's being fought on television.

though the particular incident in the OP is most certainly happenstance...

10. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

So then are you saying the Yids aren't smart enough to know this?

11. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

no, I'm saying the Israeli's don't care about how it plays on TV. It's not a PR issue for them. It's self-preservation.

12. iGary Guest

iGary

Who's the enemy? 5-year olds? :confused: :rolleyes:

13. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

it's the Middle East...the answer to that question changes from day to day.

14. iGary Guest

iGary

So you're OK with killing children for "self preservation?"

15. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

a) get real
    b) name one conflict where no non-combatants were harmed

16. iGary Guest

iGary

a) I guess that means "no?"
    b) Oh, I guess you are OK with it.

17. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

a) perceptive
    b) no, I'm not.

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

WWII. everything went perfectly in WWII. in fact, i don't think there were any american casualties.

19. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

yea, I'd forgotten. I think the Soviets and Chinese had a few incidental injuries, but nothing major...

20. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Reminds me of a David Cross quote:
    (speaking about George Bush's administration) "What is our humanitarian effort in Afghanistan? We're ****ing... What do we do? We drop pudding cups on the most heavily mined country on the planet? Pudding cups that oddly enough look like the ****ing mines. For real. Like that's gonna do it. Like that's gonna make all of the whole ****ing... that's gonna make all of these newly, limbless, orphan kids... "I LOVE AMERICA! THANK YOU AMERICA FOR ALL OF YOUR DELICIOUS PUDDINGS!"

and:
    "For every family member that died, I got a pudding cup. I'VE GOT SEVEN PUDDING CUPS!!!!!"

Yeah, this is a travesty of a story. Should never have happened to these poor kids.

21. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

OT, but beatsme your SN reminds me of the old Rick Dees bit:
    "Beats me".
    "Who beats you?"
    "Masked man beats me. Who beats you?"
    "Beats me."

Okay, as you were.

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That's the point I've (well ok, we've) been trying to make. The only response seems to be that Hezbollah/Hamas are bad because they kill innocent people. I still don't understand how Israel's current strategy is helping anybody, especially themselves, because they just come off looking just as bad as their opponents while both sides claim persecution.

23. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Ap_Piano, several points:

1. You can't be a "bigger man" when genocide is the goal of your enemy.

2. The destruction of Israel and genocide of all its Jews has been and still is the goal of the Arab--and Persian--world. This has been the case since I first began watching events and behaviors in the area in 1948.

3. The Hezzies are not in any way Nice People. They've accounted for two US Embassies in Lebanon, as well as the 241 dead in the Marine barracks in 1983. I submit that sending explosive warheads via rockets in a "to whom it may concern" fashion is commonly called a war crime, particularly when it's known that hitting civilian targets caslls for jubilation.

4. Iran's Bossman has already said--a month back--that there will be ongoing supplies of rockets "in the months ahead" sent to the Hezzies, via Syria. (Peaceful rockets, I'm sure.)

5. Much of the "news" from the area is pure BS propaganda, certainly worthy of approval and applause from Herr Dr. Goebbels. For just one example, take a look at http://eureferendum.blogspot.com/2006/07/milking-it.html

Nuff fer now,

'Rat

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Although the photographs may have been staged, we still have to deal with the fact that the surrounding area is almost utterly destroyed and there are real and human casualties.
    Is it dishonest to add smoke to a picture? It is dishonest to take two pictures minutes apart and then present them as being days or weeks later? Of course. But, does it remove the horror of war or the reality of it? No.
    The Israelis have killed civilians and they have done so using weapons that are absolutely intended to cause casualties, excusing the Israelis' tactics because Hezbollah is just as bad is the kind of moral relativity that allows for genocides.
    Israel has the power to act carefully and to target specifically.

A question, considering that Hezbollah are certaintly bad people, would you accept the carpet-bombing of Lebanon? What about nukes or chemical weapons? If Israel is facing certain genocide, according to you, can they use any weapon or tactic to defend themselves?

25. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Heh... conservatives up in arms over propoganda as proof of how dishonest a crew we're dealing with huh?

I mean, it's not like our government would ever do anything that despicable. Right?

Nor would any decent Republic do anything so abysmally dishonest as to doctor a photo of an act of war, right?

So if they're not Nice People for doing things like that, what does that make us?