Bon Echo (Firefox 2.0)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slooksterPSV, Jun 4, 2006.

?

What web browser are you using?

Poll closed Jul 4, 2006.
  1. Bon Echo (Firefox 2.0)

5 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. Firefox (any) or Camino

33 vote(s)
    44.0%
  3. Safari

40 vote(s)
    53.3%
  4. Other

4 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

How many have or are using Bon Echo? It's awesome, I can actually play http://www.pogo.com/ games, its faster than FF1.5 and just awesome, its only in 2.0a1 (alpha) but it still runs frikken awesomely great. Who else is using it or that?

2. iBrow macrumors regular

Im using Firefox 1.5 but i mite check out this, thanks for the heads up :)

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.4 for the moment. Tried the first public alpha of Firefox 2 but that was not quite ready, IMO, so I went back to 1.5. Probably going to give 2.0 another try once it goes beta.

Who am I kidding...? I probably going to cave in and try this newest one any day no... :eek: ;)

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Actually, Bon Echo is at Alpha 3, as noted in my thread recently. :) It's coming along quite nicely but I switched back after 2 days. There is a lot of speed wasted on advertisements and Adblock does a really nice job.

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

i installed it and i like, it i'll use it until it does something terrible but for now it seems great.. a question, Spell Check how do you use it? I see the red under lines but not Place to change it? Is that feature not in there yet? Still good to now they plan on adding it

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Right/control-click on the word that's highlighted, just like with Thunderbird.

7. howesey macrumors 6502a

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Try Adblock Plus, that works with Bon Echo... :)

9. slooksterPSV thread starter macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I love it, its the best.
    I have Bon Echo Alpha and NeoOffice 2.0 Alpha, they're fun and function well IMO.

10. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Been trying out Bon Echo since last night (told you I couldn't resist ;)) and it actually feels a bit more stable than FF 1.5.0.4.

After finding, the above mentioned, Adblock Plus to replace Adblock and Flashblock and a bit of fiddling with Sage to make that run, I can totally live with this even if it's sad to see that Bon Echo still plays Firefox' old "let's see how many copies of the bookmarks file we can make before the computer explodes"-game... ;)

(Of course I have a complete zipped backup of my old Firefox profile just in case I'm forced to roll back...)

11. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

They had replaced the bookmarking system in Alpha 1 but somehow couldn't get it right and withdrew it for Alpha 2.

12. howesey macrumors 6502a

Bonecho is off the branch from 1.5, version 2 is the same with major bug fixes.

Places, which is the new database for bookmarks and history was removed from the branch as it would not be ready for 2.0. You can view it's development by using trunk builds with Places enabled in the build config.

13. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

i didn't realize this was out... i may be looking into it :)

14. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Are you kidding me? That's my favorite part about Firefox! It makes it way easier to reach those bookmarks, having 12 of them around and all. :) :)

15. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Well, at least now my endless number of duplicate bookmark files look good:

Picture 3.png

;)

16. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Hmm... think I found the first annoying bug with Bon Echo: The Search Bookmarks function doesn't work. This was actually a feature I use from time to time. :(

Does anybody, using Bon Echo, have the same problem, or - even better - a solution?

17. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Shiira!

It really is brilliant. I know its not used that much, but it has Fox's stability and speed, over Safari, but it gains Safari's looks, but is still VERY customiseable (Did I just make that word up, Kids?)

Try it, can't hurt, can it? :)

18. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yeah... I saw your thread and got the fact that you like that... but this isn't a "Which browser is best?" thread it's a thread dedicated to the latest version of Firefox... :rolleyes:

I've tried Shiira, but since it's based on Webkit, just like Safari, it has the same bug on one of my most frequented sites, the search pages of my local public library.

Oh, and then there's all the other advantages with Firefox over Safari/Shiira (which you'll find mentioned over and over again in all those "Which browser is best?", "Safari vs Firefox" and similar threads) that keeps me firmly as a Firefox user (Bon Echo at the moment).

19. howesey macrumors 6502a

Go back to none alpha software perhaps?

Or, try updating to today's version. There is a new one every day.

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

What's that got to do with Firefox 2.0?

It's a decent browser, but it's not better unfortunately. It's just compatible for different things.

Mitthrawnuruodo:

Bookmarks have been Mozilla's undoing since the beta for Mozilla/Sea Money browser suite all the way through Firefox/Bon Echo and it always will be a problem for them. They got some new idea and created Places and they still can't get it right. At least, they're not duplicating bookmarks until the drive runs out of space...again.

21. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

22. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Well, then I would have to use a developer version of Spellbound to get spell checking, so I wouldn't exactly get final versions then, either. Now I have English (UK) and Norwegian (which I cannot even get in Safari) spell checking built in to Firefox, and that trumps searching bookmarks any day... ;)

I was just wondering if this was something others experienced, too, with 2.0 or if it was my machine that was acting up. If it's a general problem then I can live with it, but if there's something wrong with my iBook then I want to know and try to fix it... :)
    Well, I don't know... look at the screen shot a bit earlier in the thread... they are still trying to blow up the HD... :D

23. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, but it's not all in one file the way they used to do. Ever see 28 KB of bookmarks become 16 MB in a few minutes? It takes forever for the browser to start.

I continue to delete the extra bookmarks files because without explanation, there isn't a good reason to keep them. Of course, I export my bookmarks, just in case.

24. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Not lately, no... not sure it ever was that bad either, even back in the Firebird 0.7/Firefox 0.8... I've more or less gotten used to all those bookmark copies by now... :eek:
    Exactly what I do (though I also zip and backup my search engines and from time to time my whole profile, too). :)

25. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

I downloaded it a long time ago...I used it for a while then it was back to Safari, then Camino, Shiira, Opera, back to Safari.

The RSS reader and spell check in Safari is great ;)