Bondi blue rev c imac (*not* blueberry)

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Moonsammy, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Moonsammy macrumors newbie

Feb 20, 2006
    So a relative recently wanted to get rid of an old bondi blue iMac, and as I had a rev a (due to some flaky component I had never bothered to troubleshoot) I thought I'd take it off their hands and frankenstein the two together into something really usable. I had upgraded mine with a voodoo2 card and wanted to move that into the new (to me) machine along with increased memory and a larger HD - I was scratching my head when the mezzanine slot wasn't present (so no voodoo hookup). I did a bit of digging and apparently the new machine is a rare rev c imac in bondi blue - that was supposed to be the introduction of the "fruit" imacs, and blueberry was as close as those got to the original hue. The specs of this thing definately peg it as c though - 266mhz, no irda port, 6GB drive, and sadly, no mezzanine. Given that I can't use it for the intended purpose I've given some thought to selling it, but only if the price would be better than for a rev a or b - anyone know if there's a market for freak macs?
  2. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    I've never heard of such a thing, but I honestly can't see a collector spending more than a few bucks extra for such a thing. There's nothing classic abuot a rev C iMac, so I don't think its worth much of anything.

Do you have a picture?
  3. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

Jan 8, 2005
    On the moon.
  4. Moonsammy thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 20, 2006
    swapping, pics

I'll try to post some pics later, with the rev a next to it for comparison. I'm already planning to put a 333mhz board into whatever machine I end up keeping, so no reason to swap out the 266mhz.

Anybody know a good image hosting location? Suppose I could sign up for flickr if that works well...
  5. macEfan macrumors 65816

Apr 7, 2005
    Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    image hosting =
  6. hcuar macrumors 65816

Jul 23, 2004

Really people, these threads are nearly impossible to read.:rolleyes:
  7. MacMosher macrumors 6502

Jan 5, 2006
    ahahaha, Thats wicked.

Anyways, thats really cool I've never heard of such a thing
  8. mjstew33 macrumors 601

May 29, 2005
    Oh chill out, Jesus. Big freaking deal, he didn't press the enter key!!:eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

Scare 'em away from the forums, would ya?

Some people irritate the hell outta me when they "yell" at someone for doing something so small.
  9. Moonsammy thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 20, 2006

If a minor complaint about my paragraph length were to scare me off of a forum I'd be a pretty pathetic creature indeed. Hell, it wasn't even a badly written complaint by internet standards (proper capitalization, clear punctuation, etc), though I largely disagree with it in substance. Perhaps the last segment of my initial post could have been a separate sentence, but it doesn't really seem necessary, or particularly deserving of comment.

Is it a display thing? Are you viewing on a low resolution and getting an h-scroll? I would think the forum software or html renderer would automatically word wrap so that wasn't an issue...

Anyway, here are the requested pics:

C on the left, A on the right (with temporarily missing cd drive).

And again, with a better view of the irda port (and lack thereof).

The label for the rev C - notice it is made in the USA - I have no idea, is this normal for Apple equipment?

The rev A label shows it was made in Singapore.

Label inside C's port panel.

And the A's.

Finally, notice the lack of an opening next to the mezzanine on the C.
  10. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

Feb 28, 2006
    Central Illinois
    So I'm the mezzanine slot still there in the newer iMac even though the opening isn't available?
  11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Here's Low End Mac's page on the Rev C.

Looks like you have one of those "rumors." :D
  12. Spock macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2002
    No, the slot was removed in the Rev.C also Updating the firmware on the Rev.A will deactivate the slot.
  13. Moonsammy thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 20, 2006
    Thanks for the info, I may have someday inadvertantly updated it and lost my precious voodoo2!

And to Doug - as Spock stated the mezzanine was removed from the C, though the traces are still there. Presumably if one was quite skilled with a soldering iron (I'm not at all) and could find a mezzanine adapter one could be installed. The side panel in the C was revised to not allow access to the place where some mezzanine products (scsi cards at least, not sure about others) would normally protrude. My caption was poorly worded, I'm going to go ahead and blame that on posting past my bedtime ;)
  14. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

Maxwell Smart

Jan 29, 2006
    hmmm thats really interesting, never heard of a rev c iMac with a bondi blue case. I personally have a revision D lime :D
  15. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Dec 12, 2002
    Odd. I'd heard that, too.

But I updated the firmware on my Rev.A, and it still sees the mezannine SCSI card just fine. (I hadn't thought about it until it was already updating, then I went 'OH CRAP! THERE GOES MY SCSI CARD!' Luckily, it still works, even under Panther.)
  16. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

Feb 28, 2006
    Central Illinois
    Gah! That stinks...I'd hate to be the iWizard owner who found that out the hard way.
  17. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

Feb 28, 2006
    Central Illinois
    Oh, uh, forget my previous post then. :D