Bondi iMac and OSX

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by bondipete, Feb 1, 2004.

1. bondipete macrumors member

Theoretically, my Bondi iMac G3 233 should be able to handle Panther. What I want to know is: what is the slowest processor someone has successfully run Panther on? Or even earlier OS X? How much RAM etc? I'd love to give it a go, but I don't want to destroy my precious Bondi.

2. AtlantaGuy macrumors member

I've been running OS X since its beta days on a Bondi Blue 233 with 160 MB RAM. Today it's running 10.2.8 with the RAM bumped up to 512 MB. The old 4 GB hard drive is bulging at the seams, though, and a new machine is imminent.

3. bondipete thread starter macrumors member

And how fast/stable is it? does it battle a bit? How much HD space does Panther take anyway? Thanks for the feedback.

4. AtlantaGuy macrumors member

Well, it's functional for the basics but can be frustrating at times due to slow web page loading, freezing, etc. I'm just amazed that this aging machine can do as well as it does, but the performance did improve noticeably with 10.2.8 and the additional RAM.

As far as Panther goes, I did find the following at http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106692 -- "Mac OS X itself may require 2.0 GB of free space, or more, depending on the version and installation options you select."

Since I only have 450 MB free I don't think there's much point in pushing my luck any further.

5. Thom_Edwards macrumors regular

i'm not gonna say it's "great", but i get by. my little bondi imac has had a pretty interesting life. it started standard, but soon i bumped the memory, put in a game wizard voodoo2 in the mezzanine slot, and had a floppy from an lciii soldered to the motherboard. who needs an imation superdisk????

well, apple took those two little luxuries away with firmware updates, so i cut the floppy cable and the card just sits there under the motherboard.

now, i've got 512 megs of ram and a 20 gig hard drive packed in her. like i said earlier, before my sentimental insomnia-inspired ramble, it runs ok. i can run photoshop elements and golive, but not with much urgency. that's about as hard as i push it, really. the new safari release is quite zippy, relatively speaking. iphoto crawls, of course, but that is my only *real* complaint.

as people always ask, what are you doing with your computer? i do some web stuff, mainly php but some simple page/graphic work, do some realbasic programming, things like that. nothing really processor intensive.

i'm really thinking about retiring her and putting her big white cousin on the desk, but i really don't *need* to. the monitor is about to go, though, i think. i get an occasional single popping noise with a quick screen shrink that goes back to normal so fast you barely notice it. but i do notice it...

anyway, i say go for it! you will need more ram, and as long as you're in there, put in a fatter hard drive. good luck!

6. bondipete thread starter macrumors member

ah, I'll give it a go.
    what harm could it do?
    thanks for the advice everyone. my computer may explode, but i will have had fun toying with it at least. :)

7. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I've got Jaguar on 233 G3s at work with RAM varying from 256MB to over 600MB. I also have Panther on my mom's 333 iMac w. 256MB. Each of these computers does "the basics" very well. The 333 does best, but mostly due to Panther. On Jag it wasn't as fun.

Your computer will not melt. At absolute worst you can reinstall your old OS. There's nothing wrong with 9.1.

There are 2 important things to know about OS X on your iMac--update your firmware before installing OS X. Also, if you get a new hard drive and it's bigger than 8GB, you have to partition it and the partition with OS X on it has to be under 8GB in size.