Bondi iMac as a screen for G5?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by aussiemac86, Jul 28, 2004.

1. aussiemac86 macrumors 6502

I am hopefully soon going to recieve my new 2.5GHz G5, i have ordered a 17" apple monitor to go with it, i have the 9600XT as the video card. I am just wondering if i might be able to get some more use out of my RevB iMac, by using it as a second monitor. I have taken the cover off and there appears to be some cable which connects from the motherboard and stuff to the back of the screen. Would it simply be a matter of getting an adapter cable for that connection, to go into the spare DVI port of my new G5, or would i have to get an older video card with like VGA on it, and an adapter cable, and if so would an older video card work in a G5?

I was just wondering if anyone has attempted this before?

2. ephramz macrumors member

There was a program that came out at the beginning of this year I believe that let you use any extra mac's lying around (running OS X) as extra monitors for your computer over the net. That might do the trick for you if you don't mind having the iMac running.

Just remembered its name: Teleport http://www.abyssoft.com/software/teleport/
    it doesn't do exactly what you want, it just lets you control the mouse on the second screen, but it might be a good interim solution.

3. ryan42 macrumors 6502

ryan42

wouldn't that be a little slow or laggy depending on the connection?

4. mkaake macrumors 65816

if you have the case open, depending on the model, it's no big deal. a lot of the imacs simply plugged into their video cards with a standard connector. the only issue is that connector is usually an HD-15 connector... the old 'mac style' connector. you'd need an adaptor to use it with your g5. what's more, to power up the monitor, you'd need to have the imac turned on to provide the power.

but if you don't mind that, it should work out just fine.

of course, i think the max res on those was like 1024, so it's up to you...

5. ryan42 macrumors 6502

ryan42

yes. Lets have a high voltage device, turned on, case off, in front of us.

6. mkaake macrumors 65816

of course, i would assume that said person would have the intelligence to re-route the monitor cable through the case and put it back on :rolleyes:

or do you really think that was too much of an assumption to make?