Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2005
To cut a long story short, I have two routers, one with an IP range of 192.168.0.x and one with an IP range of 192.168.1.x, and I have no means of configuring one to extend the other as they're both intended to act as WAN gateways rather than switches.

Anyway, this isn't such a big deal as I can still access machines using their IP addresses directly, however I'm wondering if there is any way to set-up services such as bonjour and netBIOS to work across the two networks, to avoid having to enter IP addresses directly.

For example; I'd like a machine on 192.168.0.5 to be able to see a shared iTunes library on a machine on 192.168.1.12, which currently they do not.

For hardware specifics I have a D-Link DIR-655, and an ISP-supplied custom Netgear router, with a fibre-optic port and four ethernet ports, and a custom web-based configuration where almost none of the features besides picking an IP range actually seem to work). For the purpose of this query it's probably best to just assume that nothing about the Netgear router/modem can be configured, as that's pretty much true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.