Bono says 'I want to go kill myself'

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacDawg, Nov 12, 2004.

1. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Great choice for advertising the iPod! :p :rolleyes: :eek: :( :mad:

Bono accepts award, quips: 'I want to go kill myself'

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

In or out of context, this quote just doesn't seem to make sense. Anyone have any ideas on this, or is he going to be the next Curt Cobain?

Silly and stupid, regardless....

D

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't think that he is being serious. It was not a smart thing to say in public. His comment about not being inducted into a hall of fame till after retirement or death, shows some humility on his part. It seems that he really didn't want to be there and was frustrated.

4. gorman macrumors member

Oh geeze :)

He's not being serious at all. His point was that he thought only retired or dead bands should be inducted into any hall of fame. He was obviously joking when he said that he felt like he should kill himself. Bono has an interesting sense of humor, and sometimes it is hard to detect, but this was definitely just a joke.

5. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Bono/U2 should retire. I think the guy really does care about political and social issues but hangin' with the pope and Steve Jobs is a strange way of showing it.

6. gorman macrumors member

Listen to their new album, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, and see if you agree with yourself after having heard it :)

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I say "less talk, more action Bono"...that's just me.

8. zim macrumors 65816

zim

I would have to agree with Bono. A "hall of fame" should be reserved for those who are finished with the industry and deserve respect. Putting individuals in there that are still kicking is like Britney Spears coming out with a Best of CD... oh wait she just did that.

9. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Agreed. But if they are going to be around a lot longer...I really wish he'd stop wearing sunglasses all the time. Does he have 1/2 million different pair or what?

10. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

i'd have to agree with that....at first i thought it was an Irish/British thing, but your theory sounds much better than mine :)

i heard that their new album is absolutely stunning...their best yet, and that's saying something (and no i'm not a fan). the vertigo single is the first song of theirs i've ever bought actually, so i'd be interested to hear the rest, good ol' iTMS for the previews :)

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

And to think, I though he had finally wised up in his old age and was finally saying something intelligent. ;p

12. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

He's a big Elvis fan. That's all he meant. Duh.

13. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Why ?... They're still putting out good music... When I say "good" I mean technically... Some bands just turn to absolute garbage after several years, U2 isn't in that category- & I'm not even a fan of them really... Also, there's no denying their creativity- I think they're as good as they've ever been...

14. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

It makes sense when you consider Bono's constant anti-istablishment kind of persona.

15. dotnina macrumors 6502a

But of course, we haven't heard the album yet, because it doesn't come out until next week ... :eek: ;) :p

16. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

man, the guys in show business. that guy p. diddy wears them all the time, too.

17. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

I think the article was supposed to try an extract some Irish v British venom.

You can never tell, would Bono respect anything voted for by British people?

Perhaps it was written to appeal to the American, U2 loving sponsors of the race hate organisation Noraid.

Does america know that there are terror wars that pre date 9/11? That would certainly sell a few more column inches. Maybe not.

we'd have to goto the political threads to discuss why "The War Against Terror" is only against certain terrorists.

And... no, I don't think Bono intended to appear racist, that may have just been the media spin.

18. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

yes, I agree too, that's what it's really about.

Perhaps it was like being given a complementary "one way trip to the vets coupon". I think we were lucky Bono was so polite.

Imagine what would have been said if he had been asked.. What will you do with all your spare time now that you've been voted into retirement by Music Industry customers?

19. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

But almost all other celebrities are occassionally seen on television without sunglasses........I'm not sure I've ever seen Bono without them.

20. V.A.Toss macrumors regular

Every time Bono decides to open his mouth, whether at a labour party conference or just doing his beloved charity work; I get the burning urge to cripple him, force-feed him petrol for a week, then make him urinate onto a lit match.

But this latest comment of his ("I want to go and kill myself now") actually forced a smile out of me.

So, fingers crossed eh.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Bono: "I want to go kill myself."

Me: "Um.....okay." :)

While not a fan of his or his music, I still think that they're as good as they ever were before, so I don't see why they should retire. If they should retire now, that's like saying they should have retired 20 years ago when their output is no better than it is today. While some people would be happy if they DID retire long ago, most people seem to like U2, so even if I'm not a fan, I'd rather they stick around, as I don't think their music is that bad, just not my personal preference.

22. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

I think it was just a really stupid way of saying I am really embarassed,ie I got this award and I was not going to come.