Boo-hoo, my brand new iBook arrived DOA

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by serenity now, Dec 15, 2004.

1. serenity now macrumors newbie

:( I just spent one hour with tech support trying to get my new iBook to work. I was so excited that it arrived today after having just ordered it on Sunday. They are e-mailing me a return label. After I supply Apple Sales with a Fedex tracking number, they will ship out a new iBook. Couldn't get beyond the first screen as the track pad wouldn't work at all. We tried putting in the install CD, and now it is stuck in there forever.

Now I have to sit and wait for my new-new iBook. This is my very first Apple/Mac experience. Hope it gets better from here!

Susan

2. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Cheer up Susan. I'm sure Apple will ship the replacement in time for Festivus. :D

3. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I feel for you, I got my new iBook 8 days ago and they are giving me a new iBook on Friday since mine turns into (lol, like in the movie Delirious) bar codes on the top and bottom of the screen and alot of other things :eek:
    Everything will be fine and your new iBook will be Great! :D

4. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Man oh man, you guys are scaring me! :eek: So far no problems with mine, but I've only been using it for 2 days... I hope this is the beginning of a long and problem-free relationship! ;)

5. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Don't worry

Hemingray, really a few out of thousands is not good but not bad either :confused:
    Any hoo--I have learned alot because of this. Just alittle sad, my 1gig stick of ram from Frys Outpost came in today and the iBook was alot faster--for sometime anyway :cool: Well look forward to my second and Susan good luck everything will get better :D

6. iBunny macrumors 65816

I purchased my Brand new 14' iBook alittle over 3 weeks ago. And hasnt skipped a beat since. Not trying to rub it in, but just trying to add something positive to this end, and for future iBook buyers.

7. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Shiver me timbers, I know the wait can kill someone already.

Sorry to hear about that Susan, I hope the replacement is flawless. It happens at times however Apple is snappy at fixing the issue. :)

8. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Yea thats a bummer Susan maybe you should mail them back a plastic hand with the middle finger stickin up

9. Bern macrumors 68000

Bern

I had my iBook for two weeks and had to send her in for a logic board replacement due to the firewire port failing. So now she has a new logic board.

Turns out it didn't need replacingafter all, just updating from 10.3.6 to 10.3.7 :eek:

10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Well at least its getting fixed...

Sucks to hear that. But once you start using it, you will be glad you did!

11. Drgnhntr macrumors regular

I sympathize with you. I just helped a friend by his first mac, (an ibook). Started it up, ran fine but then went to install some software and the combo drive doesn't work. Have to send the thing back (purchased online) and wait for a replacement. It is little consolation, but this is not the norm for apple.

I have purchased or talked friends and co-workers into purchasing a few dozen macs over the years. Two shipped with broken combo drives and one had a bad processor in the first year. The majority are still working despite being abused, dropped (twice!), run 24/7, etc. I find the problem with macs is where to store a fully functioning 6 year old machine that I don't have the heart to throw away.

12. maya macrumors 68040

maya

You can use your old Mac's as a render farm or a home server. I am not sure if there is software that will let you use the power of 2 processors in 2 different boxes I know the Xserve has something like that to connect, however the only thing I see multiple Mac's being connected are with RJ-45 or FW and since there are old RJ-45 might be your only option.

On the other hand you can always sell it or give it to charity and get a tax slip for it. :)

13. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Or give it to me...

14. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Second times a charm

Well got my 2nd iBook today and after doing a clean/custom install and adding 1g stick of ram it works :eek: Great :D
    Much better than the first one this week-- and seems a touch faster after I did the update, no problems :p
    I hope Susan has the same good luck as I did on her new(2nd) one.

15. maya macrumors 68040

maya

My first time was a CHARM. :) :: fingers crossed ::

I love everything about it even the finger prints on the shell. :)

16. maya macrumors 68040

maya

If only you are going to give Drgnhntr a charity tax receipt. :)

17. ifjake macrumors 6502a

i think Apple just has problems with the occational lemon. feel grateful your problems occured right off the bat so that you could get it out of the way. my year and a half old Ti 15in powerbook had to have the motherboard replaced 3 times. there are quite a few things built into the motherboard, one occation was sound, another was graphics, and the last was something in the logic board itself (thing wouldn't start up). plus a few extra odds and ends that i think Apple just put in for good measure, you know the occational hard drive, ram, display. um pretty much the whole computer. so anybody looking to get an Apple laptop: get AppleCare. they definitely get on it when something needs fixed. oh and don't worry about getting a laptop or any other Apple product. the people who have problems speak like 100 times louder than all the other people who are in that daze of computing bliss that tends to come over Mac users.

i probably would have complained more to Apple if the 3rd send in for repair didn't happen in the middle of a semester. i'm not sure if i'd have much a case for getting something for my pains if i tried to bring it up now 2 months after.

18. maya macrumors 68040

maya

You have a 1 year Warranty on your Apple product, if something is going to happen it is going to happen within that year. If the logic board, HDD, or anything else fails and its was not done by intent Apple will fix it. :)

I hope your replacement iBook has arrived Susan. :)

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It is always sad to receive a new computer that is DOA. It seems that Apple is doing the right thing for you Susan. Hopefully when your replacement iBook arrives, all will be forgotten. Hope that you will keep us updated.

20. Pugdawg1 macrumors member

Had an ibook arrive yesterday, no problems. Sorry that very first experience stunk.. it'll get better! Honest! :)

21. serenity now thread starter macrumors newbie

:) Thanks everyone who replied and gave sympathy!

Update:
    My NEW replacement iBook arrived yesterday, and everything is working great on it! It was a disappointment to have to wait another week for the new one, but all turned out well in the end. It was a bit of a hassle to get the replacement. I had to call several times to make sure the new order was released after I sent the original iBook back via Fedex. I have to assume that replacement orders are not the norm, hence the confusion among the sales reps.

Only one little complaint: When I took the iBook out of the wrapping, there was a very large blue ink(?) stain near the latch. It definitely did not come from me! Fortunately, it came off using Mr. Clean Stain Eraser, which I had heard was the best way to clean iBook keyboards.

Happy holidays!

22. pdp macrumors newbie

good to hear you got everything squared away :) just in time for the holidays too which should make it doubly exciting

i think you're stretching your politeness a bit far on this though
    :p

23. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Great news :)

Good to hear that Apple sent you a replacement so promptly.

By the way, did they give you an iPod or any other freebie for your hassle of getting a defective product in the first place?

FWIW my daughter has had her iBook almost a year already and it has performed virtually flawlessly. She is still very happy with it.

24. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

How great it was for Apple to come through for you so promptly. Now you can have a joyous holiday with your new iBook. ;)

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

it'll be OK!

Susan-when you get your new one you'll love it. I got a 14" 1 Ghz about 5 months ago-it's great! I've had it on constantly for 2 months with absolutely no problems. It goes with me everywhere.