'book durability

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by topher, Jan 31, 2005.

1. topher macrumors member

I promise I tried searching first.

One thing that I don't see brought up often, and that would be a big factor for me, is the respective durability of each of the different notebook lines.

I hear good things about both...but is one more durable than the other? Any anecdotal info about how great one or the other is?

Do the powerbooks dent?

Does your ibook's palm rests look as grimy as the display models in stores, or are they easy to clean?

thanks

2. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

If you want durable, go with the iBook. he powerbooks dent easily, as well as scratch. The iBooks are easier to keep clean because they have a plastic feel. Everything just wipes off them. The powerbooks show everything, and you have to be really carefull with what you use to clean it, because it's aluminum.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Aluminum is a soft metal or a hard brittle metal that breaks instead of bending.

The PowerBooks are soft, if you drop the PowerBook off the desk it will dent, twist, etc. and break stuff inside.

The iBooks are made out of Polycarbonate, and extremely tough plastic that scratches really easy.

Drop an iBook off the desk and it'll bounce, but may pick up a scuff.

If you are carefull, and treat both well. The iBook will probably look worse in the long run.

If you are a clutz, and treat both like a basketball. The PowerBook will probably look worse rather quick.

4. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I dropped my 12" Powerbook off of my desk (approx 4 feet high), where it landed squarely on its corner. It dented the corner, but that was the extend of the damage. All of the internal components were unharmed. I have pictures somewhere. I'll try to post them when I get home.

I know a guy with an old iBook which suffered the fate of a big guy's boot at a concert. It was closed and off, but it managed to escape without any largely noticable marks and, surprise, worked perfectly.

I saw a video where one lady baked her Powerbook (literally -- in the oven) and another where this one guy ran over it with his SUV (by mistake, obviously) and both still worked. The screen was damaged, but they both worked.

If you're concerned w/ scratches, get a foofbag and be done with it.

5. MacNeXT macrumors 6502

I think you shouldn't let durability be a leading factor in deciding whether you buy an iBook or a PowerBook. The differences are only on the outside. Aluminium dents easily, but plastic has its downsides too.

Besides, buying an iBook instead of a PowerBook because you're afraid of dropping is like buying a Volvo because you're afraid of getting into a car crash. If you agree with that, go ahead, but don't forget that it's pretty unlikely that you ever drop a laptop. And if you drop it really badly, the iBook will be f*cked up too.

Also, durability is different from outside appearance. Old laptops always look bad from scratches and stuff. But if it still works, it's durable!

Edit: Yeah, my iBook's palm rest are getting yellow and I can't seem to do a damn thing about it. That would be a definate cons for the iBook and pro for the PowerBook.

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Got a 14 month old iBook as main (and at the moment only) computer...

It's in use SEVERAL hours daily. Palm rests are as white (or really very light grey) as they always been...

I dropped the machine once, from the table onto the floor, and it didn't affect it at all... (stumbled in the mouse cord - been using the trackpad ever since... :eek:)

The lid has some (nearly invisible) scratches, mainly because I treated the machine quite rough, just tossing it into my too large backpack... felt sorry for it and got a Tucano Second Skin for Christmas... ;)

For everyday wear and tear the iBook is more durable then it's more tender (and powerful) aluminium brother...

7. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

i toook the iBook over a powerbook when i purchased because i couldnt dent it when i took it to and from college.

However, its not been very reliable. Apple needs to make a pro series laptop like the powerbook and make it into a bulletproof case like the iBook.. Just because i want a more durrable notebook doesnt mean i want less power.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The iBook G3 wasn't exactly the poster child for reliability, but issues with the G4 are relatively rare. OTOH, I would get a PB if I were buying today, based on the latest upgrades....

If you're terribly worried, you could buy a used iBook or PB and minimize your lost $$ potential that way. And then sell after Tiger comes out and upgrade. ;)

9. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

Wish i had done a little reading ahead of time and sprung for the powerbook.

10. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I finally found the pictures.

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20754
    http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20755
    http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20756
    http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20757