Book on Dummies for Mac OS X Tiger

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by abhishek, Jul 10, 2006.

1. abhishek macrumors member

Hi All,

Any idea where I could find some free tutorial/basics of how to get started and work on Mac OS X Tiger. My MacBook is going to be shipped in less than a week and being a total MS guy until now, i'm kinda skeptical (even though EXCITED:D ) about the switch .

Any inputs would be great.

Regards,
    Abhi

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Start here. Let us know when you're done reading, and we'll give you more homework. ;) :D

3. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

4. Hobodale macrumors member

Hobodale

5. Pittsax macrumors 6502

Pittsax

One book that I found useful waaay back in the Jaguar days was David Pogue's Missing Manual book for OSX. In particular, there's a section that deals with the "What is the Mac equivalent of X" questions that are bound to pop up when switching.

6. mromero macrumors member

mromero

Not free, but :
    Mac OS X Tiger: Missing Manual (Paperback) by David Pogue

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/05...598785/ref=sr_1_1/102-7195623-4541769?ie=UTF8

18 Bucks

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Another vote for Pogue. "Missing Manual" is one of the top-selling computer books on any subject, and for good reason.

8. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

Why not.. I'll chip in my vote for Pogue's book too. I bought it the day I got my first mac and it has always been helpful. I've looked at the 'dummies' books, but they really aren't as good.

yt

9. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

to be honest, you don't need a book. OS X is very intuitive. still, if you have any questions, (and I'm sure you won't have many) feel free to ask them here, and they will be answered:)

10. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

BTW am I the only one who finds the syntax of this thread slightly amusing... as if OSX needed a book on how to deal with dummies...:D

11. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

I also found it odd, but felt as though I'd already criticized the grammar of enough threads for one day:)

12. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

i certainly did. only reason i even clicked to read.

13. abhishek thread starter macrumors member

hahaha!! I shouldn't be laughin, should I?!

oopsie dicey!! hehe..Just realised it now!! sigh..next time on, shall make sure!! unless you guys want to have a nice time at my expense! sigh:( hehe

Thanks guys for all the help. THink the guides out here at macrumors should be enough for now :D

14. LastLine macrumors 65816

15. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Second or third that. That's what I bought for Tiger and Jaguar, very easy to follow. Also try the iMovie and iDVD book by him as well. Those are the two best books as a consumer I'd buy to learn as much as you are able to :) I think the main reason for getting these books is that if you are coming from a windows world you may need to untrain yourself from multiple steps and just learn that it "is" easier to use/learn a computer ;)