Book Recommendations..

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by dnelsongb, Jul 16, 2004.

1. dnelsongb macrumors member

Jan 14, 2002
    Green Bay, Wisconsin
    Hi Everyone!
    I'm a technician at a School district. We are running Panther Server 2 Dual G.5's with 2 raids, incorporated with Active Directory. We've got about 700 Macs and 600 pcs. I've been here for about 5 years. I've got the basics of networking and troubleshooting pretty much down. I understand imaging using netrestor and firewire drives. Netbooting and re-imaging as well.

With that information, what Literature would you recommend I read to improve my skills. I understand there is not an A-Z solution, but I'd like to understand more about UNIX and how to use it on the Mac side, maybe to help troubleshoot.

Please let me know what books you've read that have helped some of you that are bit more more advanced and what would you suggest I do to improve my skill set.

2. maradong macrumors 65816

Mar 7, 2003

well I don't know what exactly you want to learn but I am pretty sure that the O'Reilly Book "Learning the vi editor" should be very interesting. Yes, you probably already know vi, but still, there are so many useful commands, it s really a worth to buy IMO.

Than, if you want to automate a few things, I d recommend you to learn perl, for it will help you in your daily work. Check out the O'Reilly ones, they are just the best ;-)