Bookmarks? Who needs em?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by todd2000, Jun 4, 2006.

1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

So I have a bad habit of surfing, and just minimizing evey browser window I find interesting so I can look at it later, insted of bookmarking it. Right now I have 27 Safari windows open and Safari is using 214MB of ram. Either I need to change my browsing habbits, or I need more ram, Im thinking the Ram is eaiser. At this point I get a ton of spinning beach balls in Safari. I need to up my 512MB to at least 1G. So how many people have my browsing habits? How many windows do you have open as we speak?

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

It really helps to bookmark pages. It also helps to quit Safari more often. And to restart your computer. Those two actions help to free up some of that virtual memory.

If you don't alter your habits, more RAM ultimately won't suffice, 'cause you'll just end up w/ a ton more pages being minimized and still have spinning beach balls.

3. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Im aware I just don't do it LOL :). But I do seem to max out at about 25 windows before I start closing a few, so more ram would probably help some. Altough I see your point, if I get more ram I'll probably just minimize 50 windows now, because I can :). But either way an extra 512MB of ram couldn't hurt.

4. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Ehhh, it sounds like you're using IE on a windoze machine.

I usually keep 3-8 tabs in my browser window (Shirra), and only close them when they start to go off the window. It's such an annoyance seeing others minimizing and maximizing 20 different windows *throws up*. That's just me though, tabbed browsing is so much more efficient.

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Truer words were never spoken. :)

6. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

I often put bookmarks in the bookmark menu but... *shudders* not in the bookmark bar! :eek:
    I like tabs, too. :) I generally start closing some after I have 10-15 open, b/c by then most of them I don't need open anyways.

7. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

What's wrong with the bookmark bar? I thought it was pretty worthless when i first saw it, but after using it, it's very convinient and quick. I don't see why you wouldn't use it. The favicons look cool too :D

8. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

All my bookmarks are in the bar, none in the menu. I don't really have that many bookmarks :)

9. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Zero bookmarks here.

I just middle click (with my mouse wheel) every link I want to eventually read and open up ~100 tabs and just read through them one by one. And I read them all. Nothing left when I go to work or something.

The amount of memory you have isn't necessarily the primary reason for your problem. More doesn't hurt, but I used to have a 1.2 GHz iBook that would beachball on 30 tabs. And it had 1.25 GB of memory. The memory passed Hardware test, and worked in other laptops, so that wasn't it either.

10. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

The way Safari crashes, I wouldnt risk surfing like that.

11. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

In my bookmark bar, I have a folder named Temp, and when I want to go back to something, I just look in there. I have dozens in there.

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I only ever have a maximum of 2 or 3 windows open in Safari at a time. I'll always use tabs if I'm opening multiple pages which are related - e.g. 4 MacRumors threads at once, and if I'm browsing different sites for different reasons, I'll usually open a second window to keep things separate.

As for bookmarks, yep, I use them all the time. They're quick, painless, and get me to where I want to go quickly. :cool:

13. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

WOW ~100 Tabs?? I thought I was bad :). Im suprised that it still beachballs with 1.25GB of Ram. What causes the beachball then? I was under the inpression it was because my memory was low. I might have to change my browsing habits. On a side note do tabs use less resources then minimizing all the windows?

14. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Safari really doesn't crash much on me, even with 27 Windows open. Sometimes I'll get a site or 2 that will crash it but not very often. It's much more stable then IE anyway :)

15. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

The bookmarks bar is the greatest thing since sliced bread. All your favorite sites within one click? Brilliant.

I'm with Nermal: all in the bar, none in the menu.

16. nived macrumors member

I've long ditched bookmarking in the browser and just started using del.icio.us and the like to store all of my 'bookmarks.'

...that is, once I eventually go through the 30 open tabs and decide what I want to keep or let go.