Books you'd like to see as Movies

Discussion in 'Community' started by zelmo, Jan 20, 2005.

1. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Inspired by the recent Hitchhiker's Guide movie news:
    Some of my favorite books have been made into simply atrocious movies, but that won't stop me from wishing that Hollywood could get these right:

The White Plague by Frank Herbert - He is best known for his excellent Dune series, but this is easily my favorite Herbert book, about an individual who unleashes a plague on the world that kills women.

The Mist by Stephen King - If you're a King fan, then you know about this awesome novella about people trapped in a strip mall when a strange mist cloaks their world and they begin hearing, and then seeing, some wild things.

Wizard, Demon, and Titan by John Varley - a trio of imaginative books about the wheel shaped world entity known as Gaea, and the humans who try to bring her down.

Do you have any favorite books you'd like Hollywood to bring to life?

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I'd be interested to see the Tintin ("graphic novels") used to make a live action film - if it was well made, it could be incredibly compelling. :)

3. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I would love to see The Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength) - I'll be attending Film School within the next year or so. My main interest is music videos, but if I ever have the means my dream would be to do The Space Trilogy.
    Also:
    Neuromancer (once upon a time rumored to be in production with Chris Cunningham as director)

4. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Choke by Chuck Palahniuk
    The wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
    and i would like to see a good version of the Odyssey made as well

6. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

I'd love to see the "Sabriel" (or is it "Abshorsen"?) trilogy made into a movie. The books are Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen, written by Garth Nix. They're probably the best books I've ever read! :eek:

7. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

none.

I'm sick of seeing books turned into movies.

8. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Absolutely ANYTHING by Chuck Palahniuk. I would particularly like to see Invisible Monsters made into a movie. If you havent read it, I would strongly recommend it. But only if your no easily offended. Its pretty graphic in spots.

9. Badradio macrumors 6502

Spares by Michael Marshall Smith. Dreamworks optioned it a few years back, but it's been in development hell ever since.

10. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

11. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Im 90% sure I read that this is Frank Darabonts next project. He even wants to shoot it in B&W.

I would love to see the Dark Tower Series done as well, But other than Darabont nobody should ever be allowed to touch King's work.

- Doc

12. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

• Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand (although this would be better as a miniseries or, even better, a full TV season of 22-26 episodes)
    • Neuromancer, by William Gibson
    • Jennifer Government, by Max Barry
    • anything by Chuck Palahniuk
    • Bloom, by Wil McCarthy

13. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    yeah i love tin tin!!!!

id lik eto see life of pi
    or maybe sophies world

14. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

• I've read that book four times. I can't imagine any movie studio ever seriously considering taking it on, or what kind of movie you'd end up with if they did.

15. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

Life of Pi would be cool. I wish they had done that instead of Castaway.

16. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Ranma 1/2 by Rumiko Takahashi - originally a manga and then anime from Japan.

About a guy who falls into a magic spring and now turns into a girl whenever he is splashed with cold water. Lots of wacky characters, too- his dad turns into a panda, his arch-rival gets lost looking for the front door to his own house.

It would never fly in America, though - too much nudity. (I suppose it could be edited out without hurting the story (what there is to it) too much, but it wouldn't be as much fun.)

17. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

my mrs just finished reading the DaVinci Code , she read it in 3 days and said she could not put it down !!

i get to read it this weekend

18. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Neal Stevenson's Snow Crash.

Iain M Banks Use of Weapons and Player of Games

Ken McCleod's Star Fraction trilogy

All six of the Thomas Covenant series (7 now)

William Gibson's Bridge trilogy and the obvious Count Zero trilogy

China Mieville's Perdido Street Station

None of the above could be made into movies, they are too complex and far ranging for the modern cinema... :D

King's Dark Tower would make a good series, as long as the central characters were cast for their acting, not their looks, but inevitably they'd stick Tom Cruise in as Roland... :eek:

19. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

Usual books that become movies get messed up..... so i wouldnt really want to see a book into a movie. A movie tells me what to see while the book lets me look at it in many different ways. :eek:

20. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Ender's Game would make a great movie I think.

The Thomas Covenant series would be very doable in the cinema, since the book focuses alot on the characters, and less on the enviroment. If they do it like they did Lord of the Rings, it could be sweet. It's very easy to mess up, however.

21. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. I want someone to make a long Lord of the Ring-ish series of films, one for every single book :).

scem0

22. Apmonia macrumors regular

After just finishing Jennifer Government over the winter break, I was curious if a movie was being made. Steven Soderberg and George Clooney have optioned the movie but no word on when it will be out or who will be in it.

Apmonia

23. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

Charles Bukowski's "Post Office." A screenplay he penned back in '71 exists in the USC literary archives. But it would have to be done right. Barfly was a POS with the only highlight being Frank Stallone's character "Eddie."

They could also do Bukowski's "Women" but that might leave the crowd a little breathless.

24. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Ahh but modern cinema is trying to make overly complex stories into viable films - and they figure the best way about that is to make 3 hour films. Not happening. The only three hour films I enjoyed sitting through were the lord of the rings films - and they were *very* good. (And my girlfriend came to one with me. :p )

25. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Four Good Movie-Material Books

The Second Coming Of Steve Jobs by Alan Deutschman would make a great against the odds drama. I am thinking Tucker meets Forrest Gump.

Killing Pablo by Mark Bowden could be this generation's Scarface. It is the story of the rise and fall of Columbia's dominant crime boss, Pablo Escobar. This man went to war with Columbia's government and hundreds of people died as a result; even a passenger plane was brought down. I would love to see Francis Ford Coppola or Oliver Stone direct this.

Maus by Art Spiegelman should be made into an animated film now that the technology exists to do it. This is the story of a Polish Jew's experience during the Holocaust, told in flashback to his son.

The Picture Of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde is over-due for a good film adaptation. It is the story of an aristocrat who stays eternally young while his portrait ages with every sin. This is a complicated psychological drama that only the most mature and experienced film-makers should think about making into a movie. Terrence Mallick or David Mamet would be good for this.