BookStand. My idea for a vertical notebook stand.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rainmanbk, Feb 7, 2006.

1. rainmanbk macrumors 6502

rainmanbk

Hey guys, I had an idea for a vertical notebook stand. I made a mock-up. Tell me what you think. (A 15-inch PowerBook is displayed.)

[​IMG]

2. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

3. rainmanbk thread starter macrumors 6502

rainmanbk

4. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

Thats a really neat idea, its simple and elegant. It looks great.

5. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

I agree with the dock functionality idea. Its a pain to hook up a monitor all the time. I'd be awesome to some sort of bluetooth in ACD to get rid of the cable.

If you still don't know what he (or she) means by the dock... make it hook up USB etc to the MBP and then to the desk enviroment. ie docking stations of the past... wow I don't feel like I'm being clear... getting late.

Peyton

6. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

7. Verto macrumors 6502a

Verto

It would be much more convenient, and cleaner, if your monitor, keyboard, etc cables all plugged into something stationary, than plugging those cables into your laptop every day.

8. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

Yah you can maybe have like two usb ports and a monitor plug on the back or something, i would honestly buy something that looked like that, as long as it looked as nice in real life and not something cheap.. cos it looks extremly well,espc with apple styling.

9. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I like it. Produce it and sell it for $40 and I'd buy it when I get a Macbook.

Docking would be a pain and complicate the design too much, especially with the power and DVI plugs on opposite sides.

10. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Bookends(z?) had something like the dock that people are mentioning...

I'd buy it as is, though.

11. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

someone already beat you to the design. i saw it in a Macworld a while ago. i think it was an AU company. insanly expensive (like $400) but very elegant. i don't recall.

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Adding any kind of dock functionality increases the price from $40 to $150

Then, if it is an automatic docking facility - where the plugs are made to 'mate' with the Powerbook, you have to have a separate model for each model of Powerbook that has a different dimension or a different spacing or collection of ports.

Then, the dock breaks from repeted almost but not quite alingned insertions. Or breaks the Powerbook.

What you do instead of having a doick, is just have little silicone rubber clasps on the back of the stand, to hold the keyboard power etc. cables when they are disconnected, to stop them slipping back down behid the desk.

13. remingtonhill macrumors member

remingtonhill

Running Laptop Closed

Even if technically you could run any laptop closed, I wouldn't want to, due to heat buildup. I have a thinkpad R40 on an iCurve stand running *almost" closed next to an LCD monitor. Even though I could run the thinkpad closed I wouldn't want to. Powerbooks run even hotter.

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

My PowerBook runs all of the time closed. Never had an issue and from my web research and repetitive asking I was told it didn't harm the book. I have a keyboard cover from Radtech in between the screen and the keys....still no issue.
    I've seen more powerbooks on external displays running shut than open. If your IBM has issues it could be that it's an IBM...or that it's black...yeah that's it for sure!

PS...I love this design!

15. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Wow, really nice idea.

I'd get one if it wasn't too expensive (>$100), and looked nice.

Go for it, you could make yourself a nice little chunk.

16. rainmanbk thread starter macrumors 6502

rainmanbk

Thanks a lot guys. Yeah, about the heat issues.. I designed those pegs to hold it, leaving room underneath so that heat can be vented. The heating vents are in the back now, so it is obviously more of a problem with this idea, but I think it makes for a better completed look.

Someone beat me to it? Nah... My idea is still way cooler ;). I wish I could manufacture this. Glad to see if I ever do, I'll have lots of buyers.

About the docking station.. I'm not sure I am all for this. Like someone said, adding this alone will jack up the price, and all the ports not being on the same side also would make it difficult. Mainly I would hook up my Cinema on the rightside, and the MagSafe on the left, maybe an audio cable. Other than that.. I'd use the bluetooth for interactions and airport for networking.

Docking station ability would be cool though, especially if I could design it into the base somehow, and leave that cool minimalistic Apple-esque styling.

Thanks again! I will keep at it.

17. dcv macrumors G3

Nice idea but just a few comments:

- No access to the power button - you'd have to turn the book on, then close it, flip it around then put it in the stand and attach any necessary cabling (or do you have to attach the cabling before you close it for the display to work?). Not a *huge* issue, since most people would put the mac to sleep rather than totally powering off and on each time, but still a usability issue to consider.

- The optical drive? - I've got a 12" PowerBook and the CD drive is at the side. On the other PowerBooks and the MacBook Pro it's at the front, which would equate to it being on the top if it's in your stand. Just wondering if there might be any potential issues with ejecting a CD upwards, i.e. against gravity - ?!! (never tried this myself)

- Can't use the iSight on the new MacBook Pro - your stand is disabling some new functionality.

- The remote sensor thing for Front Row is on the front of the MacBook Pro, so I'm not sure if it would work as well being on the top (it may well still be fine, I'm just not sure if it's one of those remotes you really have to point in the right direction for it to work properly!)

- Cabling - I know you said ideally you'd use a wireless keyboard and mouse, but you're still going to need the power cable and the display cable, which as far as I know are on opposite sides of the MacBook Pro... in other words it won't look as pretty in the stand with cables hanging out either side.

The only other thing I'd say is that although it does look a very nice design and shows off the top of the PowerBook or MacBook Pro with the illuminated Apple logo, isn't this actually going to take up more room on the desk (widthways I mean)? Obviously it can't stand in front of your display, whereas with a 'normal' (or no) stand the 'book can sit anywhere on the desk without obscuring your view of the monitor.

Please don't take these as negative comments or me poo-pooing your idea! It's just some constructive criticism to bear in mind :) Keep the ideas coming...

18. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Another thought to consider...

Apple say in the userguide that you shouldn't tilt the Powerbook while it's on. Is it OK to run it vertically? How happy with the components be running at a different orientation?

19. dcv macrumors G3

Indeed. I did think of the hard disk etc but forgot to mention it with all my other ramblings :eek:

Also, consider the marketing perspective... what makes this stand unique or worth buying?

OK so it's a vertical stand and shows off the Apple logo. But the claim of "using the lid-shut mode your MacBook Pro instantly becomes a desktop Mac" applies to the MacBook Pro with no stand!

Compare it to other stands:

The iLap has been designed to allow a user to type comfortably on a PowerBook or iBook whilst using it on a lap. It has cushions at the front and back for both comfort and to raise the book up off the lap, therefore helping it to stay cool. It can also be used on a desk so it raises the display up closer to eye level.

The iCurve has been designed as a desktop stand so that you can use your PowerBook/iBook on a desk with the display raised to eye level and the minimal design also helps keep the book cool.

The proposed vertical stand neither keeps the book cool, nor does it allow you to use the built-in display, or iSight etc. Although initially it sounds an interesting idea, without any kind of docking/cable management or any other unique feature, I'm not sure what makes this a desirable or useful product. (again, not poo-pooing your idea... but you're not quite selling it to me yet!)

20. rainmanbk thread starter macrumors 6502

rainmanbk

Didn't think of that, but yeah that'd definitely be a problem. Hmm.. I'll keep thinking about that one...

Haha, me either, but I think the drive would have enough power to push it out. I'll tell you on February 23rd ;).

That I did think of, and though I agree that it's not ideal, I don't really know how much people would use the iSight often. I've always kinda thought that in order for everything on a Mac to be useful, everyone has to have a Mac. Obviously that is the ideal, but besides someone else with a MacBook, I wouldn't be using the video conferencing capabilities of iChat AV very often if at all. The BookStand is more for the user who is looking to expand their deskspace, not to necessary utilize every amazing feature on their MacBook. We can't have it all, now can we?

That I was also very aware of, and until this morning I didn't have a solution. This may not work, but I was thinking maybe attaching some kind of have cylindrical strip on the top of the MacBook. Not permanently obviously, but something that could be placed on top to give the range more of a 360/180 proximity. I don't know if that would work, but I definitely think that that is a feature that shouldn't be compromised in this stand.

Yeah, you're definitely right about the pretty thing, and I was just thinking, what if there was some kind of cable organized bracket? Similar to those on server racks, but more slim in profile, and with an overall smaller opening. That way the cables would plug into the sides, but then almost immediately wrap around to the back hiding the majority of the mess.

Haha, well originally, my idea was to put it sideways, like in the Left side view. That way it would take up minimal space (think computer tower super thin) but I'm not sure I would really be able to turn it sideways after I set it up and saw that glowing apple. So many issues!

Of course when you first have the idea, it seems perfect. Then all these people tell you all the stuff wrong with it. But seriously, the feedback is great, and I'm actually getting excited about this. I still don't know how I'd be able to produce it, but a mock-up would certainly be cool, and definitely do-able. Maybe someday... Keep the criticism coming!

EDIT: I just read your following post dietcokevanilla, and I am starting to wonder about this. Other than looking pretty, which the Apple hardware already does, I'm not sure my list of features is anything to be bragging about. Infact it seems nonexistant. I think I'll need to expand the idea for more real usablity. Thanks, keep it coming...

21. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

22. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

This seems to work okay on the Cube - did it have the same type/manufacturer of drive?

23. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

What about something that would hold it under a desk or under a credenza/hutch? That way it can be positioned, tilt-wise, the way it's meant to be, and you can see the FrontRow IR receiver.

The way the Bookends (still not sure if it's -z) worked was that your PowerBook or iBook would be placed onto a strip of something-or-other, and side panels with all the ports available on the Power/iBook fitted to the exact spacing of the ports. Permanent cables would be plugged into the Bookends/z (and screwed, for displays), and a locking mechanism (I think) on the strip (the one that the laptop sits on) would create tension in each end, holding everything in place, so that you don't have to screw anything in or out every time you need to take your laptop with you.

EDIT Alright, putting it under a desk = bad idea. We don't want to be accidently hitting our MacBook Pro's with our knees, do we? I didn't think so.

EDITx2 Something like this, perhaps?

EDITx3 (I know, I know) The Twentieth Anniversary Mac had a vertical (or near-vertical) optical drive...not slot-loading, I know, but still...

24. rainmanbk thread starter macrumors 6502

rainmanbk

Hmm.. I've come to decide that either this idea isn't worth it, or the only place to use it would be displaying your MacBook Pro in your home when it's not in use. Besides that, the lack of functionality and the cord clutter ruins the simplicity of the design. Maybe just the MagSafe would look okay. That way you could at least charge it in it's "base-like" state.

If I think of anything new or any changes I could make, I'll definitely post them. Thanks for all the help and feedback.

25. jer2eydevil88 macrumors regular

jer2eydevil88

If you reconsider and you decide to go ahead with fabricating one of these then consider this.

Put rubber balls in the base where the laptop rests, this would allow someone to push the laptop into its dock. This idea's merit comes into play if you have a back on one of the sides, this lets the user push the laptop gently and glide it into a port replicator / dock for an external display. Now all you need is a partner to write software that can detect its been plugged into this base, such as a proprietary USB hub of sorts that adds USB ports to the dock and also sends a signal to the proprietary software. This software will turn the laptops external display on and set the laptop to search for a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse.

A couple of other features could be inclusion of a cable wrap through one side of the base so you can keep the docks aesthetic appeal while still charging it, utilizing the modem, or accessing the sound ports for external speakers.