Boortz is Bad News

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Taft, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

From today's Nealz Nuze:

And what was the context of this quote? He was talking about poor people in developing nations!

The thing that gets me is that this guy has a big audience of loyal listeners. I've been reading his nuze page for a few weeks, and I'm starting to see his rants as a form of propaganda. Every day its "remember the template, folks: if a news story helps Pres. Bush, the media will suppress it, if a story hurts Bush, they will play it to death." He just beats these simplistic arguments into minds every day. What is the effectiveness of this type of program? How many get sucked in every day?

Two words: offensive and scary.

Taft

2. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Do people really take Boortz seriously? I used to listen to his radio show when I lived in Atlanta, and I always suspected that it was a bit of a put-on. I figured that taking Boortz seriously is kind of like taking every outrageous thing Howard Stern says seriously. They're both professional provocateurs.

Sure, some people may take him (and Stern) seriously, but I believe most folks just tune in to hear (or read) the next outrageous rant.

It's been a few years since I've listened to him, so I may be completely wrong by now.

3. takao macrumors 68040

takao

or just plain simple demagogy (sp?) .. not very different to jörg haider
    he says what some people what to hear and apealls to emotion...was very successfull in the past...

4. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

it's very effective, especially when the actual media begins incorporating the slant (witness the wellstone memorial aftermath.) I'm not sure how many converts it gets, per se, but i know it's incredibly effective at keeping conservatives conservative. conservative america now has a multi-media chamber of echoes to reinforce their convictions with 32 flavors of disinformation and doublespeak.

i think we here have a pretty good example of what happens when your intellectual diet consists of this and like-minded material from O'Reilly, Limbaugh, Savage, Hannity, etc.

hint: it rhymes with Guy Punter.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Let me repeat what I said in another thread: Boortz is just Rush Limbaugh in a clown suit. You wanna quote a conservative, try George Will. I rarely agree with his opinions, but at least you can respect his arguments.

6. screener macrumors newbie

Ha calls himself a Libertarian.
    From his Faq,

So, just what are you? Another hate-filled conservative?

Nope. I’m a libertarian.

I started out my political life as a bedwetting liberal. Young, idealistic -- and dumb. Then I started paying income taxes. Thankfully I realized sooner than most the difference between what I earn and my "take-home" pay. For a few years I guess you could have called me a conservative. I was troubled, though, by the penchant conservatives have for directing the social lives of people. That led me straight to the libertarian philosophy. Simply put, I believe in freedom. I believe the Constitution should be amended with a clause which states that neither the federal nor any state government shall make any activity that does not violate, through force or fraud, a person’s right to life, liberty or property, a crime. I firmly believe that if liberty is to be preserved in America, it will be libertarian thought, if not the Libertarian Party, that saves it.

You’re a libertarian, but you are always supporting the Republicans!

Not always. Wait until they get into their prayer-in-the-schools, war on drugs or anti-abortion mode. Sure, when it comes to differences between the Social Democratic Party and the Republicans, I will usually support the Republicans. Face it, the two big players are the Social Democratic Party and the Republican Party. I'll support the Republicans when they're right ... but I generally vote Libertarian in elections. The Republicans need to shrug off this Christian Coalition noose it has placed around its own neck and recognize the fact that, though they may not realize it, the majority of Americans are actually quite libertarian in their philosophy. They also need to learn to fight once in a while. What a bunch of wimps.
    http://boortz.com/more/faq.html

He's quoted on the MacNet2 site as a source for their views quite often.
    Pretty sad.

7. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

I dunno. I think Neal hit the issues on the head with the last two sentences.

8. screener macrumors newbie

He spouts more nonsense than trueisms the majority of the time.
    Besides, everyone can't be wrong all the time, right?

9. Taft thread starter macrumors 65816

Taft

After the first time I heard of Boortz, I went to his website, read his FAQ, and like you, was impressed by the content of that fact. "Oh, he's a libertarian," I thought, "He doesn't seem tied to anyone but his ideals."

Now, I'm pretty sure he is just another Limbaugh-imatating hack. He calls John Kerry "the Poodle." He routinely rails on democrats as pure evil and hails Bush and the Republicans as heros. This from a Libertarian? I don't think so.

A TRUE libertarian would lean slightly more to the Republican party. However, George W. is NOT a libertarian candidate. Not by a long shot. A libertarian would disagree with as many of his policies as they agree with. Same with Democrats. They often champion ideas which align with a libertarian philosphy. Saying that Democrats are totally at odds with libertarian ideals and that the Republicans are totally on the same page is ludicrous.

This is a Republican in the clothing of Libertarian.

Taft

10. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

That is frightening, and a lot of other things. Your mind changed about some of the most important issues in society today because of some stupid money being taken out of your paycheck? *shakes head* That makes me think that liberterians are nothing more than greedy Republicans in disguise.

11. screener macrumors newbie

To set my mind at ease, my mind wasn't changed, Neserk was talking about Neal Boortz.

Taft,
    You liked the part about no one paying federal taxes?
    How would this work? No federal government, asking the ind. states for money, people and corporations voluntarily contributing?
    Seriously, how would this work?

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The libertarians I've seen have an odd combination of economically conservative and socially liberal views...taken to an extreme. I personally think their world view is highly impractical, but I don't doubt that they sincerely believe in it. They're not just Republicans of a different stripe.

13. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

so this Boortz guy is an embarassment to Libertarians everywhere?

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Libertarians come in gradations between philosophical anarchists and Ayn Rand objectivists. Or maybe it's just two main camps. The former believes in a perfect state of humanity where people pursue what they wish as their talents and desires dictate, free from rules, but behave themselves decently towards one another on a voluntary basis. The latter believe in jettisoning all the rules so that the smartest and nastiest can get the biggest pieces of the pie (this being the most perfect state of humanity attainable). I find the philosophical anarchists to be interesting if somewhat pie-eyed idealists, and the Randians to be spoiled brats who are looking for an excuse to behave like teenagers for the rest of their lives.

15. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

sounds like a fair summary of what preceded...

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah, I don't think you could put it better than that.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Even a broken clock is right twice a day... :eek: :eek: :D

18. Frohickey macrumors 6502a

I don't know much about Boortz, but if you do say that he's a Republican in Libertarian clothes, then that would be disingenous.

Now, I fully admire Ron Paul. Now, there is a Libertarian in Republican clothes.

And I loathe Bill Maher, a liberal in Libertarian clothes.

19. Voltron macrumors newbie

Voltron

Boortz who is for gay marriages, and gay rights.
    Boortz who is for total and complete removal of religion from government facilities.
    Boortz who is for complete and total removal of all governmental influence from the school system at large.
    Is Republican.
    Get real.

20. screener macrumors newbie

I think he's a lot funnier than Dennis Miller any day.
    Just love them new rules.

21. Taft thread starter macrumors 65816

Taft

I don't AGREE with it, but I always like a person who doesn't seem in the pocket of the two major parties.

Taft

22. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Thats cool I.J I think I'm now gonna describe myself as a pie-eyed idealistic philosophical anarchist whenever someone asks my political leanings.

23. Taft thread starter macrumors 65816

Taft

More Boortz fun. From today's Nealz Nuze:

When the 9/11 commission's report was released, I wondered how the wacko right would respond. Now we see the spin...and it's interesting spin at that.

This, my friends, is a classic example of a straw man argument. Boortz took the AP story, misrepresented their argument, then attacked that misrepresentation.

The original AP story did say that no working link existed between al Quida and Iraq for the planning of the 9/11 attacks. But it went on to say, among other things, that:

This quote does bluntly contradict what Bush/Cheney have been saying.

This is what scares me about guys like Boortz. He uses very sophisticated methods to make his arguments. A person who didn't look at those arguments with scrutiny, might get the impression that he was being honest. This, in fact, is not the case.

Bad Nuze.

Taft