Boost MacBook's Wireless

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jadedknight, Sep 18, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

In my school, I can find wireless networks and almost connect to them but when I open up my browser I cannot render any pages. I searched Google for some options to boost my connection but all products where $200+ Is there any cheaper solution?

2. macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Not really. And if your Macbook can't find a signal, you won't find a laptop that will be able to. In my experience, the Macbooks have the best WiFi reception of any notebook I've ever seen.

3. macrumors 6502a

ivi7

Do you have this problem elsewhere? Maybe your school network is choppy so you cant get connected to it instantly.
    From what I've seen the Macbook's have a very good wifi reception.

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

The networks are not actually part of my school, I think they are from the houses across from my school. I have seen some usb boosters but they are very expensive.

And to clarify I can connect but nothing will load.

5. macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

The Best WiFi Around!

I've sat in my car that's @30' from my house and been able to utilize my DSL with a very strong signal. While at both school campuses that I attend, I've always been able to get an extremely strong signal anywhere on campus, as well as in the parking lots adjacent to the campuses. That is totally opposite from my PC with a wireless card! Connection is much faster with my MacBook as well.

6. macrumors 6502

I have a MBP and it has poo poo wireless reception.

7. macrumors 6502a

jaydub

same here. I was sitting in a classroom behind a girl with a MacBook, and she had almost full wireless reception, where I had like 2 bars. We also have to connect thru a VPN and my connection was so weak that I kept having to reconnect to it. :mad:

8. macrumors newbie

My MBP has the same problem too. Do you go to UNLV?

9. Retired

psychofreak

That is not legal, you should not be asking here as it is against forum rules...

10. macrumors 68020

samh004

That's because it's encased in Aluminium. I hated how bad the signal was in my PowerBook, but this MacBook is so much better... and I'm only sitting 2 feet from my Airport right now :p

If you can connect but not load anything perhaps they are on to you and have disabled the internet to your machine or something, while still allowing you to connect.

11. macrumors 6502a

jaydub

yeah I sure do. Usually in BEH my reception is CRAP.

12. macrumors 6502a

compuguy1088

The MBP does not have terrible reception, I get a much stronger signal with my MBP than my previous piece-of-junk acer aspire 3003LCi with its replaced from a junk Broadcom with an Intel 2200BG.

I woudn't say its illegal, its more of a gray subject, because I have done that simalry when I do not have a network connection, though it was just for browsing, nothing shady of the sort......

13. macrumors 6502

If they wanted their connection to be inaccessible to outsiders all they would have to do is lock it with a password. It's not that hard lol. With my linksys router you have to actually go through more steps to make it an unprotected connection.

In my neighborhood I can find 20+ wireless connections, and they ALL are locked with a password...

Now if he was asking how to decrypt the password and "break in" to their wifi then yes ... that would be illegal in my eyes.

14. macrumors 6502

People get charged for this sort of crime.

15. macrumors regular

Quiara

While not necessarily "illegal" in the strictest sense, it's definitely unethical and in poor taste. It's freeloading. He didn't pay for the wireless. Not everyone understands how to lock their network, either, so an open network doesn't necessarily mean "Hey! Feel free to use my connection!"

16. macrumors 6502

The MBP wireless isnt that bad but in comparison to the MB and desktop wireless cards it is terrible.

17. macrumors 6502a

jaydub

It's all relative, of course. I've seen people in class with full strength on the wireless network. Then there's me, sitting next to them, struggling to load a page with one bar. :D

I usually just give up and tether to my phone with 3G and then I'm faster.

18. macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

19. macrumors regular

so if you forget to lock your front door I can help myself to what is inside your house :rolleyes:

same thing really

20. macrumors member

Here, Here... to the Aluminum vs. plastic, my families iBook and Macbook kick the crap out of our PB's and MBP.
    Plastic + Wifi = :D

21. macrumors 6502

my sisters toshiba pc laptop with vista kicks the crap out of my black macbook in terms of wireless reception. She can pick up signals almost twice as far as mine. Of course she has a wifi draft N chipset while mine is G(core duo).

22. macrumors member

Erm... I don't think it's the same?

They didn't FORGET to put the password encryption on their wireless, they just didn't put it. there's a HUGE difference.

But hey, if you wana compare, then 'if i forget to lock my front door, you can help yourself to USE the bathroom or the sink'.

What people do when they connect to other's wireless is using it as a TOOL rather than "burglarising" the wireless network.

Just my 2cents.

23. macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

I dont know why more people dont leave their wifi open? I have a 6Mb DSL connection that i leave open all the time when im not home, about 10 hours a day. I figure, im paying for it, its a shame if its not being used.

Now when i'm home thats different.

dont be stingy.

24. macrumors 6502a

Thanks for this post! It never even occurred to me to make it open while I'm not home. :) I wanted to share it, but I didn't want it to hinder my performance. I'll definitely be doing this from now on!

25. macrumors newbie

"I wanted to boost a weak signal from my Airport Extreme signal to my MacPro. QuickerTek advertises and sells booster antennas for both, which they promise a significant improvement in performance. I purchased directly from Quickertek, on the internet, antennas for both the MacPro and Airport.

After installing the antenna in the MacPro I experienced poorer performance than the original Apple WiFi card. I called them to reviewed the problem, for which they had no answer to solve the problem. I then requested a refund and return authorization since the product did not work. They said just to return the antennas. I returned both for what I thought would be a refund.

I just received a letter for credit which can only buy other products they make, in which they state they will not refund the money that I have paid. It is not clearly noted anywhere on their web site that they do not refund, it is only on the back of the receipt for payment they send, after you have made a purchase. It states they will only give you a credit to purchase other of their products and that even has to be used within 30 days, or they keep your money. Since I have no need for any of their other products, I obviously have just been taken by QuickerTek for hundreds of dollars.

They advertise their products are guaranteed. The only thing your guaranteed from QuickerTek is they will not give you your money back when their product fails to perform. This is a fraudulent and dishonest practice, and the same as stealing.

I cannot recommend anyone doing business with QuickerTek or the quality of their products."