Boost PowerBook USB Power?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by witness, Jun 15, 2005.

1. witness macrumors 6502

I realise that the answer to this question is probably "no", but I thought that it is worth asking anyway, just in case.

I have some bus powered USB devices that won't work with my PowerBook because it doesn't provide enough power to the USB ports.

Is there any way to increase the power output (without using a powered hub)?

2. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

What device are you trying to connect? Your powerbook should have enough juice to power anything

3. witness thread starter macrumors 6502

It won't power external USB hard drives, I've tried 3 PowerBooks and they were all the same. And I've tried the same device on several PC notebooks and they all worked.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Unfortunately, as you suspected, no.

Were these all Titanium PBs, or Aluminum PBs, earlier models?

Firewire is a much better technology with a Mac, far more useful IMO.

5. witness thread starter macrumors 6502

They were all 17" Aluminium 1.67Ghz PowerBooks.

6. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

is it a 2.5" or a 1.8 inch drive? you can't power 2.5" on a USB bus only firewire

7. mms macrumors 6502a

Are you sure the hard drives didn't have separate power supply bricks? The PowerBook ports are definitely not made to be low-power.

8. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

if the drive has a 2nd usb cable (perhaps red) that's for extra power. perhaps that would help. i dont have any 2.5" external drives on which to test it, only a 3.5" but it should work.

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Edit: a hub is your best option, but you already knew that.

10. witness thread starter macrumors 6502

It's a laptop hard drive (100Gb USB2 Fujitsu HandyDrive). It did come with a double USB cable, but even with that plugged into both ports it won't work (I assume that both ports on the PowerBook are on the same root hub, and therefore no extra power is provided).

It didn't come with a power brick, and I really don't want to have to take a USB hub with me where ever I go.

At the moment I have to plug my drive into a PC and access it over the network from the PowerBook.

So I'm wondering now, if I were to get a new enclosure with firewire would the PowerBook give enough power to run it? I don't really want to spend the money only to find that it has the same problem.

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

My AlPB's FW bus has enough power to power a 80GB firelite disk..

12. witness thread starter macrumors 6502

Can anyone recommend a compact firewire enclosure for laptop drive?

13. witness thread starter macrumors 6502

I've just purchased a combined firewire and USB2 caddy, hopefully then I can use the firewire on my PowerBook and the USB on PC's without firewire.

I just hope that it works.

14. witness thread starter macrumors 6502

Just in case anyone is interested, the USB and firewire enclosure/caddy arrived today and it works just fine using the firewire connection to my PowerBook.

It's a little bit thicker than my USB only enclosure but I guess that's because of the extra components required to provide a firewire port, but at least it works.

15. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

did you try the USB 2.0 bus power with the new enclosure?

16. witness thread starter macrumors 6502

Not yet, I've tried FireWire with a PowerBook and USB with 2 PC's and it works just fine.

I'll give USB on a PowerBook a go tonight (I don't have my PowerBook with me), I'd be very surprised if it works because I'm using the same 100Gb drive.

17. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

it might have been a bad power supply in the enclosure, that can happen. If it works return the first one for a refund

18. witness thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I gave it a go with USB and it still didn't work, firewire works ok though, so at least I can use the drive directly now without having to go over the network.

I guess that PowerBooks must give out slightly less power than that USB specs (Apple always did favor FireWire over USB).

Thanks for all the suggestions.