boot camp lost 25 gb

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jonaseriksson, Feb 5, 2007.

1. jonaseriksson macrumors member

hi

just installed xp via boot camp. chose FAT so that i can transfer files between my partitions.

xp sees the 31,7 gb hard drive, but only reports 5 of it to be free. the actual space occupied by all folders is about 2 gb. the recycle bin is empty. ive checked the disc for erros with scandisk.

what to do?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Are you looking at the disc space through Windows Explorer?

Try going to the command prompt then type:

Code:
    cd \
    dir *.* /s -h

That will put you at the root of your drive and eventually give you a tally of everything on there including hidden files. There might some hidden files your Select All in Windows Explorer didn't select.

Still seems like it's using a lot if you haven't installed anything much aside from XP.

Also does FAT32 play well around the 30 gig mark under XP? My memory is a little fuzzy since it's been a *loooong* time since I've set up Windows. You might try a reinstall with NTFS and use a flash disk to move files between the two OS's.

3. jonaseriksson thread starter macrumors member

so guess what. i removed the partition and made a new one (smaller). however, the windows installation did not see it. it just saw one big 130gb hd. i rebooted the computer and viola, my mac partition had disappered.

i had no way of booting from the mac os x dvds since the windows disc was stuck in the drive (not physically, but i coudlnt eject it on boot or when windows was trying to install).

so i had to pop out my hard drive. switch to my old one. boot into os x from that and eject my windows cd. switch back to my new drive and boot from the now inserted os x dvd :) then i had to completly reformat my drive and install os x :)

im not touching boot camp anymore today :p