boot camp or parrallels

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rfruth, Mar 11, 2007.

1. rfruth macrumors regular

rfruth

I don't do anything fancy but need/want to use Win Vista (home pro) on new Mac Mini (Leopard, 2 GB RAM) 95 % OS X 5 % XP - have to reboot with boot camp but it's included with X - parallels $ 79.95 but more convenient - any opinions :rolleyes:

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Are you sure you're not running Tiger?

Parallels is better with that much RAM, but there is no support for the see-through glass, yet

3. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Well you can't boot your vista bootcamp with parallels yet so you'll need a new license. Anyway though... download the trial...

4. zwida macrumors 6502a

zwida

I use Parallels at home and BootCamp at work. Unless you'll be in Windows all the time, just reboot into Windows using BootCamp. It works just fine now and I imagine the Leopard version will fix the few flaws that currently exist.

Parallels is also fine, but in my case (using Windows very occasionally), it's just not necessary.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It depends what you want to do with it, if you want to play games you will want to use bootcamp. download the trial of paralells, and see if you think that it is worth buying for you.

And are you sure that you are running Leopard?;)

6. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

i like how //s runs under tiger, no need to reboot and coherence is great. but ymmv on leopard. :rolleyes:

7. chicagdan macrumors 6502a

Why doesn't VMWare Fusion get any love? Jeez, it's a free download (at least while in beta) ... it has DirectX ... it's built for dual processors. Parallels keeps adding bells and whistles, but VMWare seems to make the most important technological leaps first.

8. rfruth thread starter macrumors regular

rfruth

Wait en for the *new* Mini with Leopard on it - no gaming and only light use of Windows so sounds like Bootcamp will do me just fine but not sure what I'll end up doing :eek:

9. mocman macrumors regular

10. pubb macrumors member

If you plan to do any sort of work that requires anything more than modest demands of your graphics subsystem, use BootCamp. Parallels cannot take advantage of hardware acceleration, whereas BootCamp can.

If you're going the BootCamp route, I would hold off until Leopard. For now, BootCamp is technically beta which means Apple has zero liability/support/responsibility for it.

When Leopard comes out, they may very well disable the beta versions floating around out there and tell you to wipe the XP partition and start over from scratch - with a newly purchased 10.5 retail box.

Pubb

11. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I totally agree, Parallels is the better choice ...... why? Quite simply it's more versitile. :)

FJ