Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

10-Dee-Q

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Hi i have this question for you all mac expert here.

I'm a switcher , My MBP is my first apple product that i buy (except of few ipods of course :p ) ,
Anyway i really glad that i made the switch, everything is simple and easy to learn especially with mac user forum like this, every problem that i met are solved easilly (except the part taht i still can't figuree out how to use iphoto :p )

Anyway i use my MBP mainly at home for surfing the net, keeping photos and music, and editing photos and videos.
However i'm gonna set up a bussines now , and it uses Microsoft SQL Server for the stock data and finance accounting, my bussines is quite small, and the network consist of 1 Win XP PC at warehouse , 1 Win XP PC at cashier, 1 Wirelles router to connect all of the computer to a network harddrive where the data for the microsoft SQL server is stored.
However I need another Win XP PC/notebook in my office to connect to the network, but since i have my MBP, i think "why should i buy another WinXP PC/notebook?"

Okay so i searched the forums about WIn XP on MAc, and found Boot Camp and Parrarels, but i still can't decide which one to use or better for my needs.

my needs is simply to run the DAMN Microsoft SQL Server on my MBP and connect it to the rest of the network.

I read some post before that the parrarels didn't support networking yet, is that true ?
If that;s true, that's mean i shoud go for boot camp instead, but i don't like the idea that i must restart my MBP to get to WinXP , and that's also mean that about 8 hours a day i'll fix my eyes to that ugly interface again :(

can anyone give me any solutions?

First of all Thank you very much.
and sorry for my broken english :p

RoadKill

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2003
LONDON UK
I suppose the best thing for you to do is download the demo version of parallels which will give you 15days iirc to try and see if the performance is acceptable to you.

Parallels has given me no problems with networking, all I had to to was change the interface from en0 (ethernet) to en1 (wifi).

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Parallels should be able to cope. I'd love to recommend using MySQL instead, but a transition is not always easy :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.