Boot Camp Partition Size?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ChiMon, May 13, 2006.

1. ChiMon macrumors newbie

Mar 30, 2006
    I am installing Boot Camp and I'm wondering about the partition size. I heard that if the Windows partition is a certain size (32 Gig ??) files can be accessed by both Windows and Mac OS X. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks in advance.
  2. aplasticspork macrumors regular

May 27, 2004
    Seattle Wa.
    If the size is under 32 GB it can be accessed through Mac OS X. as for the size, it really depends on your needs. I just did a 10 GB partition for the windows installation because I'm installing everything else I need on an external hard drive. If you need to install applications on the same drive then I would do more than ten.

3. McKellar macrumors newbie

May 7, 2006
    That's not quite true - for clarification, if you make your XP partition smaller than 32GB you can format it using FAT32, which can be written to by Mac OS X. If it is larger than 32GB, you must format it using NTFS, which cannot be written to by OS X, only read.
  4. ChiMon thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 30, 2006
    How do I format the partition using FAT32? Can the partition be 32GB or does it actually need to be smaller, say 30GB?

I also like the idea of the external hard drive.
  5. ChiMon thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 30, 2006
    I found the answer to my question in the Boot Camp start up guide. The partition can be 32GB or less.

Here's another question: The guide states that NTFS format is more reliable and secure. Are there any concerns about using the FAT format?
  6. iwamas macrumors member

Feb 26, 2006
    Amman, Jordan
    changing partition size

Once you run bootcamp and install windows, can you increase the size of the partition from say 10GB to 20Gb or do you have to erase the partition and start from scratch?
  7. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    You can't increase it once you've set... if you can it'd be some odd form of trickery.
  8. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

Dec 24, 2005
    I believe you can. I will try to find a link, but I am pretty sure it is possible.
  9. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    Cons: FAT32 is generally more prone to fragmentation and has a 4GB limit on file size.

Pros: Any OS can read/write FAT32.

10. Dopeyman macrumors 6502a

Sep 5, 2005
    Los Angeles!

Any luck finding that link? I wanna increase the size of my BC partition w/out losing the current data on it....
  11. Mojo67821 macrumors regular

Apr 20, 2006

He's right, there is no way to do this.

FAT32 is essentially useless... at least to anyone planning on using large filetypes. If you have a file larger than 4 gigs it can not be written or moved to the drive if it's in FAT32. Get MacDrive for your windows side, and put everything on an external drive. That way the drive is formatted in HFS+ (mac format) and your windows machine can access it with full functionality (that's what MacDrive does, it's at www.