Boot Camp Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacBook'06, Aug 4, 2006.

1. MacBook'06 macrumors member

MacBook'06

hi everyone
    i was trying to install Boot Camp last night and it said that my hard drive cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be written, it told me to boot off the OS X install disk and repair the disk, so i did that tried again and it said this:

"Your Startup disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved. Back up your startup disk as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the startup disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again."

I am running 10.4.7 the latest firmware, the latest version of Boot Camp and am on the computer in my sig.
    Please help!
    Thanks in advance
    MacBook'06

2. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

How much free space do you have and how big of a partition are you trying to create?

3. MacBook'06 thread starter macrumors member

MacBook'06

i have 13GB free and am trying to create a partition of 5GB, that will leave me 8 GB free on my Mac OS X partition, the guide says i should ba able to do that, the only requirement is that i have at least 5 GB free on my Mac partition.
    my hard drive is formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and i havent reformatted my hard drive since i got it
    thanks for the quick reply

4. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Well, I can't guarantee anything but when I was trying to make a 20GB partition with only 30GB left I ran into the same error. I backed up some stuff/deleted some crap and tried again with 50GB free and it worked fine.

If you can, try and get 20GB free and give it another go. :(

5. projectle macrumors 6502

It is usually a good idea to play around with Operating Systems when your hard disk and your installation are clear (backing up to another source, clean install, mucking around, putting all data back).

6. MacBook'06 thread starter macrumors member

MacBook'06

ok thanks guys
    i will give it a shot!
    hopefully OS X 10.5 will bring some kind of virtualisation, but maybe not!:rolleyes: