boot camp ruined my 500GB lacie!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by orangephoto, Sep 15, 2006.

1. orangephoto macrumors newbie

Aug 25, 2006
    while installing windows on my new mac pro i had my firewire 800 drive plugged in

i didnt even think it would be a problem

now the install failed every time so i said screw it and went back to OS x

and get a dandy little message asking if i want to initilize.. ignor.. or eject the unknown disc (lacie)

that hard drive had everything on it.. is it lost forever? i pluged it into my old computer.. (powerbook) and it didnt work either

is there anyway to save the data??!?!
  2. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

Jul 4, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    I don't think that BootCamp could do that since Windows won't read from a firewire drive until after its installed. The installer will only read/write to an internal drive.

And even if I am wrong about that, the only way it would erase your Lacie is if you told it to install Windows on that drive and it repartitioned your drive.

Not really sure what to tell you except good luck.
  3. bearbo macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    yeah, like the previous poster... when you isntalled windows, did you tell the installer to remove the partition on your external, or something? because otherwise, it shouldn't be removed... and if it's removed that way... well, you are in some danger

you can try some of the data recovery software and they might or might not work depend on your particular situation... but definitely try that