Boot Camp Settings for HL2

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kiscokid, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Kiscokid macrumors member

Oct 19, 2005

I have recently installed boot camp beta on my 24" iMac - 2 gigs ram - nVidia 7600 256mb.

Can I just say that bootcamp was so easy to install ..... and although I boot into OSX it's great to have the option to play games at the touch of the option key - even if XP does feel dirty (I have an apple wallpaper on XP to make me feel better!).

Anyhows...I am unsure as to what level of graphical quality I can expect with Half-life 2. Will selecting anti-aliasing options be pushing the capabilities too far. I see that it can go up to anti-alising x 8 ?? But surely maxed out on widescreen 1900x1200 with full detail - is it not better that I keep it turned off?

Having been out of the gaming world for so long (WOW excepted) can anyone give me some advice here. Cheers. I will try a few options out when I get some time later in the week.
  2. topgunn macrumors 65816

Nov 5, 2004
    I have the same machine that you do and I run HL2 at native resolution with 4xAA & 2xAF or maybe its the other way around. Whichever goes to x16 is set to x4 and whichever goes to x8 is set to x2. HDR is set to full. I ran the timedemo and ended up with over 30fps. I typically get between 40-60 in game.
  3. bearbo macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    for any given game, how do you determine what's the fps? or is it only for certain games?
  4. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    I only have the stock 17" iMac and I run it at-

1680*1050 (external monitor :) )
    2* AA
    8* AF
    everything on full. no colour correction.

30fps seems average. Video Stress test in CounterStrike said 32fps on average.

HL2 runs like butter on any new system, I've seen it perform beautifully on even the low end PCs.