Boot camp vs Parallel. ..

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mcatt66, Feb 15, 2007.

1. mcatt66 macrumors member

Feb 14, 2007
    anyone have experience or feed back. . .I will be buying one. . which do u think is a better program. . .
  2. rogersmj macrumors 68020

Sep 10, 2006
    Indianapolis, IN
    No offense to you, mcatt66, but I really wish people would stop asking this question. They're really for two different contexts completely, and the question implies that they're mutually exclusive -- but they're not, you can have both. It's like asking "a car or a plane?" Well, both allow you to travel, but it's the point of the trip you have to consider.

Boot Camp is free, so you can have that no matter what. Parallels allows you to run Windows apps right along with your OS X apps, which is invaluable for me especially with Coherence mode. There is no reason for me to use Boot Camp unless I want to play a 3D Windows-only game. Just like there's no reason for me to use a plane unless I'm going someplace really really far away. Do you have ANY Windows app that you want to use regularly that's not a game? If so, buy Parallels, because do you really want to be constantly rebooting just to use one or two programs? No, that's time consuming and inconvenient; in my travel analogy, it's like going through the hassle of an airplane trip (with getting to the airport, security, etc) when you only need to travel 100 miles.

In short: you'll probably want to use both. If you're using Parallels, you might as well install Boot Camp too because Parallels can use the Boot Camp partition.
  3. mcatt66 thread starter macrumors member

Feb 14, 2007
    ok sounds right. . .i actually just want to play certain games and be able to download exe files. . .
  4. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

Nov 23, 2006
    UK, Scotland, Glasgow
  5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    If these games are 3D grfx games, you simply MUST use Boot Camp, as this is the only way your grfx card will actually be identified and drivers installed running Windows.

For this, you could use Parallels.

BTW, mrogers, I like your travel analogy.