Boot Camp, Win 98, Games

Discussion in 'Games' started by lopchopstop, Jun 29, 2006.

1. lopchopstop macrumors newbie

Heh!,
    I want to play games on my new MacBook Pro and have windows 98 installed via Bootcamp (I had it lying arround and didn't want to buy XP). All my old games work fine and I want to get some new ones but I notice that most new games list the operating system required as XP with no mention of any other version of windows.

Now I was wondering if anyone knows whether this is because everyone just uses XP now or whether the games really arent compatable with older versions of windows.

So my question is basically will new games work on windows 98?
    I know that I should go to some windows forum with this question but as Im browsing here at the minute and Im a mac user I thought I would chance my arm on here...Thanks for reading!

2. jdechko macrumors 68040

I doubt it. First, windows API's (programming instruction sets) usually change with each version of windows (I'm guessing), and I'd be willing to bet that you'll find there are needed technologies in WindowsXp required for the games that just aren't found in older versions of windows. I don't know what else, but I think thats probably the deal-breaker.

Now you might be able to run it on Windows 2000 (or possibly ME), but pretty much when software gives min. system requirements, that's really what it means. And the games might end up running, but I wouldn't count on a positive playing experience.

Something that you can try is to download some of the new games' demos. Thats a pretty good indicator of the full game's performance on your system, and it'll tell you what you want to know.

3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Whoa! :eek:

Didn't even know Windows 98 would install on that machine! :cool:

And adding to what jdechko said, I don't think that DirectX 9 and higher will work on aything "less" than Win 2K.

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I don't think it would install- Windows 98 doesn't by default support SATA, multicore processors, DVD drives, WiFi, Bluetooth, or the GPU in the MacBook Pro- and Apple's drivers are Windows XP only.

5. danny_w macrumors 601

I would think that if you can find the needed drivers, Win98 should do fine for most games put out until recently. I will have to cehck on DirectX 9, but I don't know why it would not install (DX 8.x installed fine). And yes, DVD drives work fine on Win98. For all of its faults, Win98 is still a much leaner and faster OS than that dog XP ever thought of being.

6. jdechko macrumors 68040

I was assuming that the OP had found a way to install 98 on there, anyway. Also, I wasn't sure about whether or not it was necessarily Windows that would be incompatible with DirectX 9 (I know the X1600 can handle it).