Boot camp with small partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by andrewheard, May 19, 2006.

1. andrewheard macrumors regular

On the Apple website it says that you need to have 10GB for Boot Camp. Is there a restriction in Boot Camp to make the partition this size. I'm planning to get a MacBook with the affordable 80GB hard drive upgrade. I'd like to have as much possible hard disk space for my OS X partition so I was wondering if its possible to just make a 5GB partition for XP and then use MacDrive to install programs onto the OS X partition temporarily if the need arises. I just want to be able to install some old games like Warcraft 3, Starcraft, Diablo, AoE2 and maybe even Guild Wars which I've read runs fine on the Intel GMA at low settings. Nothing like Doom 3 though (I'm too jumpy). Games will not be anywhere near the primary use of this machine so no need for any complaints about integrated graphics.

Thanks in advance for any input,

Andrew

2. Johnny.MacLeod macrumors newbie

Johnny.MacLeod

I would go with 10Gb, it allows you space to install anti virus, spyware scanners and updates to the system. I created a 20Gb partition. I use it mainly for games and windows based programming. I use an external 200Gb disk or the games and install the other software directly to the Macs HDD.

Hope this helps:)