Boot Camp won't partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by kolax, Apr 1, 2007.

1. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

I can't seem to be able to partition my drive using Boot Camp; I was able to produce the Mac Window's Drivers CD no problem, just get an error each time I partition.

[​IMG]

I've closed all open programs and restarted, still no luck.

Anyone got any ideas?

Ta.

2. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Seems like your disk is partitioned incorrectly. The only option will be to reformat the entire disk and start again :(

3. kolax thread starter macrumors G3

kolax

I done some reading on the net and found some folk say that Parallel's and CrossOver can cause problems when using BootCamp to partition (both of which I have installed).

Other people say that defragging the hard disc cured their problems when partitioning using Boot Camp - but I don't want to splash out money on a defragmenter if it isn't going to fix my problem.

4. m1ss1ontomars macrumors 6502

This is most likely what you should do, although, like Boot Camp tells you, it may be cheaper to back up your data and restore it. If your data is at the end of the drive, I'm guessing diskutil can't move it to the beginning to free up space for partitioning. If you defragment using, for example, iDefrag, you will free up space at the end of the drive. If you backup and restore, your files and free space are usually defragmented and will move to the front of the drive.

So you have a choice. You can back up/restore (perhaps needing to buy a new, external HD) or you can defrag (perhaps needing to buy a program).

5. theman5725 macrumors 6502

I had this same problem. It turned out that I had filevault on, and that was causing this to happen. Turning filevault off allowed me to partion.

6. HuskyInDenial macrumors newbie

While I haven't gotten it to partition, I have found that you can get rid of that error by using DiscUtility booted from your Install Disc and repair the drive and the permissions.