Boot Camp

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by simontarr, Sep 20, 2006.

1. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

Is anyone else having problems with bootcamp?

I have the latest version of boot camp (v1.1.1) and my iMac is all up to date software and firmware wise, but every time I install the mac 'crashes' and I have to reset the PRAM.

I partition the internal drive, then when the iMac reboots to begin the XP installation, the screen goes white, the Apple bong plays, but then the screen goes black and then.....nothing. Thecomputer is still on, but the screen is black.

When I first done this I panicked and thought that I'd broken it, but a quick call to Apple Care soon told me the PRAM needed resetting. So everytime I try and install, I have to go through this. I'm not sure what te problem is, so decided to come to the fountain of all mac knowledge (MacRumours rules) to see if anyone else has been having this problem.

Thanks

2. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

OK, just to get it straight. Everytime is how many times? And after resetting the PRAM did you check to see if your firmware was uptodate?

3. simontarr thread starter macrumors 6502

simontarr

Everytime would be the 5 times that I've tried so far. I've definitly installed the lastest firmware (as of 2 weeks ago) so unless the firmware is reset when you reset the PRAM, then I shouldn't think that it should be an issue. Is it possible that a PRAM reset will restore the firmware to factory defaults?

4. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Ah I see. Well, I have successfully used the previous version of BootCamp to install Win XP and even the Beta of Vista. And I'm not sure if resetting PRAM resets firmware also but it doesn't hurt to check right? Oh, and which version of XP do you have?

5. simontarr thread starter macrumors 6502

simontarr

I have XP SP2 & I also have a copy of Vista RC1 which I tried just to see if that would work either (I read elsewhere that RC1 works fine with bootcamp, which is why I gave it a shot) So yeah. Looks like I wont be installing XP for a while. It's not vital really- OSX is better than XP by a million miles anyway, but I'm strangely addicted to the 'Evil Genius' PC game at the moment and fancied having a go on my day off from college :D

6. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

So the Vista worked? LoL, well I hope it gets resolved soon so you can continue playing your game :D But just to make sure, you've done the SMC firmware update right as in its version 1.1f5?

7. simontarr thread starter macrumors 6502

simontarr

Nope, vista wouldnt work either :(
    Yep, definitly 1.1f5. Thanks, darkcurse.

8. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Sorry dude. For the record though, I ain't tainting my MBP with XP haha :p

9. evangelion-01 macrumors regular